• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tappet Replacement

rangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2002 Ranger 2.3L needing to know some info about valve train tappett replacement on these overhead cam engines. I am wondering if anyone has tackled this type of job before and maybe a few specific queations can be answered. I am attemting to research this project before I tackle it. All the info I can get on how to replace a tappet on my 2.3 L would greatly be appreciated.
Terry

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have 357,000+ miles on my 2005 2.3 never touched anything inside the engine,,, yet.
Duratec 2.3s don't have traditional tappets. they have cam followers that look exactly like an upside down bucket. they go between the cam and valve tip. to adjust the clearance you replace the bucket with one that has a different thickness.
replacing them is easy,,,,after the cams have been removed,,,simply lift them out of the head.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

edited....
the head is a 2.5 Duratec from a 2010 Fusion, same as a Ranger 2.3. the cam followers drop into the holes open side down. then the cam goes on top.

I couldn't locate any 2.3 cam followers, the ones pictured are from a 1990 Yamaha 3.0 V6,, same principle but they use disks set on top of the followers to adjust valve clearance, we get to swap out the whole follower.
the Ranger 2.3 Duratec followers have a totally flat top surface. the thickness of the top determines clearance, they are available in lots of sizes.

to check/,adjust the clearance you first measure the actual gap, then compare it to the desired gap, note the difference if any.
then remove the follower and measure it's thickness,,, if you need more gap get a thinner follower, if you need less gap get a thicker follower.
the follower may be worn, that means the stamped thickness isn't accurate, measure it for best results.

for building a head from scratch install cam and measure between cam and valve tip, subtract desired clearance to get follower thickness.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals