• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Taking too long to warm up??

Art

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
95 2.3L, last winter she started taking a long time to get warm. It sucked, especially in some of the sub-zero Michigan mornings we had. I was a cold dude. I figured the old thermostat was stuck open, so I wasn't too worried about it. What with a long Labor Day weekend and all, I figured I would change the oil and the fluid in the diff, and while I was at it I'd pop in a new thermostat. I pulled out the old one, didn't appear to be stuck open. Well, after putting it all back together once, I discovered that the housing was shot. Picked up a new housing, managed to bust the sensor trying to get it out. New sensor, and upper radiator hose went on the second time. Doesn't appear to be leaking, but I'm also noticing that the truck is still taking a long time to warm up. When I burped the cooling system, it seemed like the upper radiator hose started to get warm pretty much right away, unlike the other times I've done thermostats. I'm curious what other possible causes there are for this.
As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3l Lima doesn't generate alot of heat, most put cardboard in front of rad in the winter

But no, the upper rad hose should not get warm at all if engine coolant isn't above 190degF(192deg stock thermostat)
The radiator is there to get rid of excess heat, might not even be used in winter months with the 2.3l
They do make 205deg thermostats for the 2.3l

Make sure fan clutch is working
When engine is cold open the hood and try to spin the fan, it should be tight and not move much
Start the engine and run it for 20 seconds or so, turn engine off
Now spin the fan again, should spin easily, its now unlocked
If its still hard to spin then its always locked and it is cooling the engine too much

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
2.3l Lima doesn't generate alot of heat, most put cardboard in front of rad in the winter
When I had an 85 Mustang with the 2.3L I put cardboard in front of half the radiator since most of my driving to work was highway. The only way I'd have heat in less than half an hour.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals