• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Strange 8.8 question....

Acuta73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a Ford 8.8 rear-end differential in my 2003 FX4. I needed to replace my bearings.....why do I have 7.75 axle stubs? Is this normal? Can I swap to the larger stubs/axles?

/confused

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
8.8 Ranger axles came standard with 28 spline axle shafts and differential side gears. the axle shafts and wheel bearings are the same exact shafts as used in the 7.5 rear end. the differential side gears are not.
Level II axles with the Torsion differential have 31 spline shafts and the larger wheel bearings.

the diameter of the axle tube does not have enough room for larger axles/bearings, so you're stuck with the smaller 8.8/7.5 bearings & shaft.
you can upgrade the differential to 31 splines, but will still have the smaller wheel bearings.

swapping in a modified Explorer axle is popular, they have the bigger bearings & 31 spline differential.

there is lots of info about axles, read the tech section and do some searching. and of course ask questions.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
8.8" Ranger axle info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

Rangers used 28-spline/1.21" diameter axles from 1983 to 2011 so all years, regardless of 7.5" or 8.8" ring gear
Tube diameter was 2.80" from 1983 to 2009 for 7.5" or 8.8"
2010/11 got 3.25" tubes with disc brakes but axles were same 28-spline/1.21" diameter

Exception was the 4x4 Rangers that used the Torsen Limited Slip differential, it used 31-spline axles, these were first offered in the 2002 FX4 model, then in 2003 and up the FX4 Level II

You would have to change the differential to use 31-spline but would still have same axle diameter
You could swap in an Explorer rear end which has 31-spline and larger diameter axle

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
and listen to RonD, so I won't have to type anymore :icon_thumby:

Acuta73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
8.8" Ranger axle info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

Rangers used 28-spline/1.21" diameter axles from 1983 to 2011 so all years, regardless of 7.5" or 8.8" ring gear
2010/11 got 3.25" tubes with disc brakes but axles were same 28-spline/1.21" diameter

Exception was the 4x4 Rangers that used the Torsen Limited Slip differential, it used 31-spline axles, these were first offered in the 2002 FX4 model, then in 2003 and up the FX4 Level II

You would have to change the differential to use 31-spline but would still have same axle diameter
You could swap in an Explorer rear end which has 31-spline and larger diameter axle
So the Torsen was an option on top of the FX4 package? Call me dumb, but reading what you wrote, my 2003 FX4 should have 31-spline....unless it was an option I don't have. Wouldn't be offended upping the axle diameter so long as I can swap my LSD carrier...discs would be a nice bonus (I'm a trucker, I don't worry about brake fade). She's getting a supercharger and air springs so I can tow a bit more than currently (my goal is a 19' Arima SeaChaser).

In the end, I was just confused as to why I had to take back the 8.8 bearing set for a 7.5 when my diff pretty clearly reads 8.8. So at least that is partially answered! LOL

Thank you!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Only the FX4 level 2 had the 31 spline axles. The level 2 was a upgrade package on top of the fx4 package.

Acuta73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, re-reading that makes sense. Thanks.

Kinda BS I have the larger pumpkin, but the smaller axle.....actually just kinda strange. I'll live with it for now.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
8.8 Ranger axles came standard with 28 spline axle shafts and differential side gears. the axle shafts and wheel bearings are the same exact shafts as used in the 7.5 rear end. the differential side gears are not.
Level II axles with the Torsion differential have 31 spline shafts and the larger wheel bearings.

the diameter of the axle tube does not have enough room for larger axles/bearings, so you're stuck with the smaller 8.8/7.5 bearings & shaft.
you can upgrade the differential to 31 splines, but will still have the smaller wheel bearings.

swapping in a modified Explorer axle is popular, they have the bigger bearings & 31 spline differential.

there is lots of info about axles, read the tech section and do some searching. and of course ask questions.

Didn't they just say the same thing ...:icon_confused:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok, re-reading that makes sense. Thanks.

Kinda BS I have the larger pumpkin, but the smaller axle.....actually just kinda strange. I'll live with it for now.
Cheaper to manafacture and less material so less weight. With everything stock it's more than strong enough. Engineers don't design things for what the customer might upgrade later on.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cheaper to manafacture and less material so less weight. With everything stock it's more than strong enough. Engineers don't design things for what the customer might upgrade later on.
I would have phrased it thus: The GAWR remained same so no need to increase size of axle shaft/differential tube/wheel bearings. Larger pumpkin is needed with the higher power (4.0) engines*.

Your comments on cost are right on money.

Explorers have higher GAWR (3,200 vs 2,700lbs) hence the larger axles.

Now, in theory, you can put 31 spline axles (they would need to be custom as Explorer and Ranger lengths are off by just enough that they won't swap) into a Ranger rear axle using Dodge parts**. But given the tube strength hasn't changed, not sure if that would buy you anything.

*Not exclusive, but generally true.

**Durango bearings/seals have the Explorer shaft id and the Ranger axle od. They are also rated for similar loads as the Ford bearings...

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Didn't they just say the same thing ...:icon_confused:
yep, only 3 minutes between posting time, so we were both typing at about the same time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wouldn't be offended upping the axle diameter so long as I can swap my LSD carrier...discs would be a nice bonus
You can't put a 28-spline carrier into a 31 spline axle without replacing the side gears. Most Explorers I've dealt with were LSD though. You can also put a Torsen unit in an Explorer axle.

I would have phrased it thus: The GAWR remained same so no need to increase size of axle shaft/differential tube/wheel bearings. Larger pumpkin is needed with the higher power (4.0) engines*.
Man, you better come have a talk to my B2, then. The 4.0 still hasn't blown up the 7.5 after 3 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals