• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock 5spd trans upgrades or direct swaps for 2.3 ranger

Turbo2.3ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys names anthony. This is my first post (my first time actually going and posting on a forum)i beleive im in the correct area if not please refer me to a better topic to post this thread please. Anyways into the meat.first off theres no bad idea lol, I have a 1986 ford Ranger 2wd with a 2.3 4cyl like bottom of the line model no headliner no a/c, manual brakes manual steering,thing did not even come with a radio from ford. But it has a 1988 thunderbird turbo coupe 2.3T engine swap and complete ecu swap the owner i bought it from did a very very clean job. It was his baby and now its mine i love it but it still has the stock tranny in it that i feel just is enough its got no guts first gear anyone have any ideas on what a good simple trans upgrade would a good swap. I have a t5 trans from that thunder bird that the guy gave me and i happen to have a t45 trans too from a buddy of mine but i really dont want to cut the floor and move cross member at this time maybe in future. But anyways anyone know of a direct fit/ minor modification needed trans swap or maybe upgrades i can do to the trans currently in it?

Turbo2.3ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also i wont really be towing or hauling with it i would like to make it a sleeper it already is pretty quick compared to my subaru wrx i owned before. But it would at most carry firewood or furniture if need or an atv/motorcycle either by trailer or in truck bed and that would be occasional since i have buddies with squarebody K30s

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the trans is working but it has no oomph out of the hole then I would suggest changing gears. What gears do you have now? And what size tires? Probably 4:10 gears would work well if stockish size tires.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
+1 on 4.10’s, nothing wakes up the 2.3 like deeper gearing. I went from 3.45 gears to the 4.10 and have been very happy with the results. I do hit the rev limiter at 81 with 225/70/15 tires. 3.73 isnt a bad choice either and might be a little better on fuel economy. Ive had 3.73’s before with the 2.3 and wanted to try the next ratio lower as I tow quite often.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have 4.10s and 225/70r15s and my truck will happily cruise at 90... :icon_confused:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
mine misses like crazy at 81 but is ok at 80. not sure what rpm is since I dont have a tach. handling isnt great at high speeds so I usually dont open it up all that often. I just thought I was hitting a rpm limiter, with 235 75 15 it will do 85 but takes longer to get there, the 225 70’s just seem to overall work better.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know the later trucks have actual speed limiters that cut the ignition out. They are usually set to almost 100 though. :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals