• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

still a little confused???

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
so i have a 1995 donor for my v8 swap.now what im a tad confused about is can i just use the oem harness on the donor stang and wire it to my 1987 ranger and get it to run or will i have to change distributor and ecc and all that other stuff??i never done a engine swap b4 of any kind so some of the terminalogy im reading is kinda losing me.sorry guys just want to get it right the first time.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
What engine is in your 1987?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
the truck has a 2.3l efi with a 5 spd

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford's EFI systems from the 80s and early 90s are incredibly stand-alone out of the box. To just make it run you probably only need to connect three or four wires from the Mustang engine harness to your Ranger's dash, assuming your donor Mustang doesn't have PATS. You may even be able to make a minor modification to your existing alternator harness and just plug it into the Mustang's alternator.

But I've never done a 5.0 swap or dealt with an 80s 2.3L, so I don't know the details.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 90 ranger with a 91-93 mustang harness and computer. It was only a grand total of 7-9 wires that needed merging. The best thing for you to do it get the diagrams side by side. Your local garage that has been around for years probably has the really good books in storage or just lying around since a majority of garages use their snapon machine or that website. Trace the ranger dash wires and pull the entire engine harness from the ranger out. Put the mustang harness in and merge what is needed.

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Ford's EFI systems from the 80s and early 90s are incredibly stand-alone out of the box. To just make it run you probably only need to connect three or four wires from the Mustang engine harness to your Ranger's dash, assuming your donor Mustang doesn't have PATS. You may even be able to make a minor modification to your existing alternator harness and just plug it into the Mustang's alternator.

But I've never done a 5.0 swap or dealt with an 80s 2.3L, so I don't know the details.
is the dash harness the only harness i need out of the donor stang?na dno on the PATS on.the 95.3 or 4 wires to connect.thats it!will it run well with just a few wires conneced?when u say dash harness im thinking everything that connects to all the gauges and everything?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I have a 90 ranger with a 91-93 mustang harness and computer. It was only a grand total of 7-9 wires that needed merging. The best thing for you to do it get the diagrams side by side. Your local garage that has been around for years probably has the really good books in storage or just lying around since a majority of garages use their snapon machine or that website. Trace the ranger dash wires and pull the entire engine harness from the ranger out. Put the mustang harness in and merge what is needed.
im sure they do.the vaccum and wiring book u mean im assuming?when u say dash harness u mean everything that connects to gauges and everything?is the dash harness is what runs to all the sensors and fuel relays and all that?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
im sure they do.the vaccum and wiring book u mean im assuming?when u say dash harness u mean everything that connects to gauges and everything?is the dash harness is what runs to all the sensors and fuel relays and all that?
Yes those books, im not sure how it works on a 87 but the ecm on my 90 is on the right side of my cab and the wiring for the engine control module runs out through the firewall on that side under the heater/fan. I pulled out all of that harness and put the mustang harness in its place. Then you have to figure out what wires get routed where and tied into what.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Most of the aftermarket standalone harnesses are just a copy of the 1993 Mustang EFI harness, but simplified and neatened up a little. Lots of people have made their own standalone harness from the Mustang harnesses, using the Ford Motorsports manual as a wiring guide. The problem a lot of people run in to is the harnesses are now so old, various connectors break when unplugging them, or wires and connectors have been overheated, etc.. Especially the "salt and pepper" connectors. They're notorious for causing all sorts of faults. The coil wiring plug and the A/C relay plug are also known to be partially melted after so many years of use.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/397/397-M-12071-A50.pdf

http://sth2.com/mustang/EFI-harness-installation-instructions_1.pdf

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just FYI

If you have a local public library you can get a library card and set up a PIN number so you can log into the library website from home
It will have a link to an Automotive repair website that will have wiring diagrams going back years

All FREE, well your taxes pay for it, so.............might as well use it :)

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Yes those books, im not sure how it works on a 87 but the ecm on my 90 is on the right side of my cab and the wiring for the engine control module runs out through the firewall on that side under the heater/fan. I pulled out all of that harness and put the mustang harness in its place. Then you have to figure out what wires get routed where and tied into what.
my 87 is in the same place.behind kick panel.is mustang harness located in the same spot as your 90 ranger is?u used foxbody as your donor correct?is that where u put the mustang ecm?where the rangers old 1 was?was it easy to wire musang into ranger after that?im assuming u used wiring diagrams to help of course.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Most of the aftermarket standalone harnesses are just a copy of the 1993 Mustang EFI harness, but simplified and neatened up a little. Lots of people have made their own standalone harness from the Mustang harnesses, using the Ford Motorsports manual as a wiring guide. The problem a lot of people run in to is the harnesses are now so old, various connectors break when unplugging them, or wires and connectors have been overheated, etc.. Especially the "salt and pepper" connectors. They're notorious for causing all sorts of faults. The coil wiring plug and the A/C relay plug are also known to be partially melted after so many years of use.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/397/397-M-12071-A50.pdf

http://sth2.com/mustang/EFI-harness-installation-instructions_1.pdf

View attachment 32071
i wonder how close the 94-95 wiring is to the foxbodies wiring?im sure pretty close.thanx for diagram.very helpful.can't thank u guys enough.if it wasn't for all u guys pointing in the right direction id b pretty lost.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Just FYI

If you have a local public library you can get a library card and set up a PIN number so you can log into the library website from home
It will have a link to an Automotive repair website that will have wiring diagrams going back years

All FREE, well your taxes pay for it, so.............might as well use it :)
i should!i ll b looking into that next week.also looking for a paper back version of vac wiring also for both.just in case.thank u for the help

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The Foxbody vs SN95 Mustang wiring is indeed very close, but as I said before, the harness is pinned differently where the wires meet the EEC unit.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
good to know.thanx

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals