• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stiff clutch and can't shift into gear

Toon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4"
Tire Size
205/55r16
I bought a 1999 3.0 ranger RWD manual about a month ago and Last week I had my clutch slave cylinder go on me. I replaced it and I drove the truck fine for a week. Fast forward to this morning, I was pulling into the parking lot at work and when I went to shift into second I felt something weird like the back end of the truck skipped and all of a sudden the clutch pedal felt really stiff. I parked and didn't think about it all day. After work I start the truck and I can't get it into reverse I yanked on the shifter and it grinded like crazy but it went into gear. I managed to get home (2 minute drive) and I checked out the service port underneath and it doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the slave. When I dropped the tranny last week I looked at the clutch and everything seems fine. It was already replaced with a heavy duty clutch kit. I tried bleeding the system like crazy but I'm still having the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Antoine

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did you try cursing at it?

Toon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4"
Tire Size
205/55r16

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have no other ideas... but hey... free bump

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The pedal is stiff, but will still go down with more effort?
Or is the pedal solid and won't go down at all?

If the latter, check the fitting where the hydraulic line plugs into the slave, it may have come apart.
I don't have any ideas on the former.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
^second what Junkie said. Check the firewall where the master cylinder mounts too - they are known to flex and crack.

Toon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4"
Tire Size
205/55r16
I changed the master cylinder this morning hoping it would fix my issue but The pedal was still tough so I dropped the tranny again. Turns out the slave I got was defective, the spring gave out and it wasn't depressing the pressure plate enough. What a waste of time. :cry: Thanks for the help though! :)

Old Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am having a similar issue with '97 Ranger rwd particularly when vehicle not warmed up. Symptom#1)Press clutch, pedal locks approx half way down. When pedal released-can feel very little pressure against foot. Usually can feel pedal pressure against foot. Then Take foot off of clutch pedal-(completely released) wait 10-15 seconds, again depress clutch pedal-works relatively normal.
symptom #2)Press clutch pedal-shift into 1st or reverse-let pedal up-again feel very little pressure against foot all the way back up but this time no clutch engagement at all for 1-2 seconds- then clutch "pops" and truck jerks hard.
I am 2nd owner.I have done no (clutch) service yet whatsoever. vehicle at 190k. No idea what service 1st owner may or may not have done.
Fluid in reservoir was not low although a bit dark.
I'm thinking either slave is sticking or more likely the check release in line to slave is somehow getting plugged temporarily.
I will be bleeding slave tomorrow just to check the fluid condition from slave and flush some fresh dot3 through the system- perhaps a long shot, but it might tell me more. Will post results if anyone is interested. Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:

Old Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
update- bleeding procedure at slave painfully slow, however was able to get 3 reservoirs full of dot3 through system.
The removed fluid from system separated into: clean-top layer, dark-middle layer, and very dirty-bottom layer which contained 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of water.
So far clutch has returned to normal.
Always try the simple things first. Hope this helps someone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals