• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sputtering engine (still) after fuel pump replacement

davenporthandmade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I've got a 1993 Ranger 4.0 V6 4x4 that has been giving me some issues. Long story short, it started sputtering and losing power about 6 months ago, so it sat for a while as we can function with just one car in our house, luckily. During this time I changed the oil, spark plugs & wires, and MAF sensor - nothing helped. I finally got sick of looking at it in the driveway and started swapping parts out last week. First was the fuel filter last Monday - thought that did the trick, but it will run normal, then suddenly start misfifing with the CEL on, sputtering and driving with way less power than normal. You can feel it in the throttle response and hear it in the exhaust. A week later (yesterday) I replaced the fuel pump (fun!) and that too seemed to fix it - took it on the highway for a test drive, filled it with premium, and used a can of additive to clean any gunk out. On my way home from the store, it suddenly went back to its old ways on the highway - got off and restarted the truck and viola! Good to go. Didn't drive it to work today, so I just got home to test it and sure enough it is running rough again. I am so frustrated and just want to fix the issue!! Any thoughts? Should I replace the fuel filter again now that there is a new pump? Could it be dirty/clogged fuel injectors? An electrical issue? Like I said, it is intermittent and unpredictable. I will try to pull a code here in a few minutes and post again. Thank you for your help!!

DavenportHandmade

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Dave welcome to TRS. Others can help a lot better than I, but did you change it out with a new sock on the pump?

davenporthandmade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hi Josh! I changed The whole fuel pump assembly, sock included. The old one was still in tact, not at the bottom of the tank like I’ve seen it on some videos! Got the truck to start just now, but only after priming the fuel system (turning to accessory and letting pump run) for about 5 minutes. Normally the pump would run for 2-3 seconds and stop...sounding like a fuel pressure issue?? Thanks for your response!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry Dave but that's a bit over my pay grade ;) I'm hoping someone will help you sort it out sooner or later, it's still early yet :)

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Get the codes. Get the codes. Get the codes. You don't need any special tools on your truck.

When your done with that pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and sniff it to see if it reeks of gas.

davenporthandmade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Tried to pull codes last night but of course, the CEL won’t come on when I try tot test. Anyways. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator today and when I pulled the first line off there was no fuel spraying out, to the that indicates no fuel pressure. So either a faulty FPR or a leak somewhere in the lines. Truck runs perfectly after priming the pump and cycling the ignition for 1-2 minutes. Will start and run like butter after this initial priming stage. But when I start it from cold, I always have to build up pressure by cycling the ignition/fuel pump. Thoughts?? Time to take it to a mechanic?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does it have a leaky gas cap? They usually spew some air when loosened for gas

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It should pressurize and hold for quite a while. So it's either losing pressure though the pump itself, the fuel return line, the sending unit, or externally but you would see a leak. My money is on the rubber hose between the pump and sending unit... I've seen those crack and leak, it is pretty common. Could also be feeding back through the pump itself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals