• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock Help

AHamilton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V-6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225-70R-15
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it...if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway.
1998 Ranger 3.0 - I'm replacing the front shocks and have a problem with the length of the threads on the replacements. I took off Motorcraft F-87A-18045-DH's with 1½" threads and the replacements have only 1". This isn't enough to compress two biscuits and washers enough to install the retainer nut. Anyone else encounter this?

Mike Tonon

No, I am about to change out my front shocks, though. I bought OEM from a Ford parts website. Hopefully they will have the longer stem. I’m not sure mine were.. that bad, but my tires are cupping on the inner edge and everything else looks good, so. I get the feeling I won’t notice much difference in how it rides, but my tires might not do that anymore, not significantly, I hope. (12 years old/80,000 miles)

For your situation, can you try jacking up under the A-arm enough to push it close enough to reach it? Maybe also get a big person to sit on the front driver side, like on the radiator support??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals