• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shaking rear end,

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Well it took all day! but this is what we got done today and yes it had to be done, OMG hard work! The spring perch was completely broken! I didn't see a crack on the back side until we got it out! So the front perch passenger side leaf spring was basically dancing and singing lol

Both rear tires seem to be out of round but what do I know. [emoji848]

there is a very slight wobble showing with the wheel and tire back on. I don't think it's enough to cause the vibration I've been having.

I can drive it locally so it's not like I'm upset. I just don't have the money to do much more at this time. I'll take it for a ride but I don't expect much. Maybe I can get my shop to double-check the wheel balance.

I often think about getting the wheels balanced on the truck but there aren't any shops near local to me that do it

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ya'll wanna update? "Shake shake shake shake, ya booty".

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's a tough decision Found an Explorer rear with my ratio (3.27) near local $350.

Can't find any under $300. Drums, shaft, bearings, shoes on mine will be close if not more.. Yes I know the new old would need pads and rotors etc. But they are a stronger rear.
Do it. You won't regret it.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Adsm, It is very appealing, but there is still a lot to do on this truck before I even get to that point.

The spring perch made a big difference! The truck is definitely not shaking as bad at lower speeds and I can travel at highway speed now without my teeth rattling lol, but it still shakes,

we put the 2 back wheels on the front now the whole truck seems to shake instead of the back so I'm beginning to suspect the tires. one of the wheels has like 6 weights in one spot. That is also the wheel where the tire looks like it's out of round. What's weird, I don't feel it in the steering wheel and the shake only seems to diminish when lightly touching the brakes

Can a non Pro look inside a differential to find anything wrong? because mine has a leaky gasket.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well I'm pretty convinced it's a bad balance or tire. Before I go any farther I'm going to try and get tires evaluated they are nearly new but one was scalloped because it had a bad alignment which I've had done. That tire is the one with all the weights on the rim and the one that seems to be shaking .

Edit; Did some driving today (Nov 3rd) The shaking is most definitely moved more to the front of the truck and occasionally I feel it in the steering wheel

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
From your previous description I kinda thought it may be a wheel balance issue. Keep us updated. Could have a flat spot as well?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
From your previous description I kinda thought it may be a wheel balance issue. Keep us updated. Could have a flat spot as well?
Hope to find out this week! I didn't realize the door sticker calls for 235s not 265s or the 30X10.5/R15s on there now. Funny the speedometer does not seem to be off at all

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
At tire city getting the balance re balanced I'm.... Hopeful, shaking went back to front kinda sorta.
I've been buying my tires here for the past five or six years very happy with their service,. they're a local company. Hunter balancing equipment too.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
YES! All four wheels were badly out of balance! I can actually drive 60-65 mph now! As I guessed and thought, one of the tires does have a hump in it which is still noticeable but, at least the truck is driveable now. they can match the diameter of these tires for me if I decide to get 2 new of another make. Still thinking on that. A nd it only cost me $10 which was the tip for the mechanic, this is why people keep going back to Tire City they're good people!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Update on this!
It was a "new" old tires! and it wasn't like I didn't try I had them balanced and rotated like three times. equipment storage plus $500 for 31 so I went back to 235 and got a cash deal for $360, the shake is gone, the old tires, I can only guess we're parked in one spot for many many years even though they were "new"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals