• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shadetree Locksmith, cut your own keys.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Tools needed: the LISHI Key Cutter, or similar tool for cutting/notching keys. A good file and an old dull pocket knife to use as a de-burring tool.
Parts needed: Cheap blank keys to practice on.

--------------------------------

Most Ford dealerships want over 100 dollars to cut and program a chip key, Ace Hardware wants $89 to clone one. I can get (and have bought) Ford OEM blank chip keys for less then $20 each on Amazon, the only problem is finding someone willing to, and with a modern enough machine to cut your key for you. The solution? Cut your own! Use a tool like the LISHI Key Cutter. I bought it and 10 cheap blank keys to practice on.

Just hold the blank key in the cutter using your original key as a guide, cut the big notches first and then the smaller notches. Use a file and a dull pocket knife to clean up the sharp edges. Practice till you're good at it then you can cut your own expensive (10 to 25 dollar) chip keys.

You can measure your Ford key (8 cut, groove 82 style) keys and write down the number for future reference, a locksmith with the right equipment can make you a new key just from the "cut numbers"
Or, you could make a non-chip copy and keep it somewhere safe in case of emergency..

If your key cylinder goes bad or some jerk messes it up trying to steal yer ride, you can "re-key" a new or used key cylinder to match your original keys by changing out the wafers to match your key. (the wafers are numbered, and match the "cut numbers" for your key, see above.)

There are many good videos online on how to "re-key" a Ford Strattec key cylinder, I recommend watching a few of them before trying it, then get a used cylinder or a cheap replacement to practice on (I got one off Amazon for $11.95) So far I haven't seen one that describes the difference between a "sidebar" and a "non-sidebar" style key cylinder, so hopefully the reference material listed below will help with that.

The difference between sidebar and non-sidebar wafers.

The difference between a sidebar and non-sidebar key cylinder at a glance, they fit the same and look almost identical.

The sidebar system was used up to about 2002 and was replaced with a more reliable system using only the wafers to lock the cylinder.

The non-sidebar wafers protrude upward and downward from the key "plug" into slots in the cylinder housing. (see FIG. 1) Each wafer matches a "cut" in the key, when the proper key is inserted the ends of the wafers move to a position out of the slots allowing the key plug to rotate.

Sidebar style wafers do not protrude from their slots in the plug (see FIG. 5, above) and rely on the sidebar to keep the plug from rotating until the proper key is inserted.

Attachments

Last edited:

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the pictures, hope I got them in the right place....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First time I noticed this article. Thanks for writing it up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Me too floored... he slipped in through the cover of darkness.

Gonna have to take a closer look at it...

Thanks for taking the time to share it Otis

Drag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Adding a short video of how you do this would be awesome

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Interesting but counter-productive if you spend $200 in blanks trying to get it right and $40 for the tool when its $100 at the dealer.... I'd rather have someone else cut and program it because if it doesn't work then it is on them, if you mess up then its on you and now you spend more money. Just my 2 cents.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting but counter-productive if you spend $200 in blanks trying to get it right and $40 for the tool when its $100 at the dealer.... I'd rather have someone else cut and program it because if it doesn't work then it is on them, if you mess up then its on you and now you spend more money. Just my 2 cents.
Blank keys are about a buck each (or less in bulk) I think I paid $8.oo for 10 blank non chip keys on Amazon. I got it right on the third try, two Ford OEM keys for abt $30.oo, got them both right first try. I guess it's just how you want to spend your money.

TacticalKarma

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
About all this, I can add that an ordinary locksmith can replace or pick up the keys to the door, car, etc. And let's say if your car key or the key to the front door is damaged, a locksmith will be able to repair it and provide a replacement kit. But of course, not every locksmith can do this, but I have known the company for a long time mylocallocksmithtx.com, which I often use when there are problems. But it usually wasn't always like that because I used to call locksmiths on an ad, and they did their job somehow negligently and took a lot of money for it.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I had a young lady at the hardware store cut the pattern for my 93 Ranger on one side of a 10 cut blank and the one for my 77 Mustang on the opposite side, all I do is flip the key over and it will do both vehicles. She was a little dubious but I told her she wouldn't be responsible if it didn't work. It worked perfectly and it only cost me $3, I've made keys with just a file before and it isn't worth it. Cloned keys are slightly better than no key, I much prefer to have an actual, programmed duplicate key.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Very interesting. I've always had an interest in lock-smithing. Thanks for posting

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals