• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Second Fuel Tank in a Ranger

Strelok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been toying with the idea of adding a second tank to my Ranger.
I've been reading a few threads about it but they're not very informative.
It seems like there was a second tank option for the Ranger at one point but it's rare to find, so a Bronco 2 tank is probably my best bet. It hangs low but my truck is already lifted 4" so it should clear.

Seems like the B2 tank fits between the frame rails just fine, but might(?) require the crossmembers out of the B2? or a custom one?
The two main issues it seems like are that the short bed Rangers have a shock mount in the way, and the filler tube points at the bed.

How bad of an idea would it be to just move the shock mount to the other side of the frame rail?

My bed has a second angled spot in the back identical to the one in the front that the filler tube goes through, this means I would have clearance right?

Most threads mention having a second fuel pump and filler neck, but why would I need that?
Couldn't I just plumb the B2 tank into my current tank and have it function as one big tank?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
So I added a second tank to my 87 ranger. You will have to add the correct crossmember, tank straps, wiring, tank selector switch, tank selector valve, fuel hose, return line (if yours is efi) and filler neck.
The issue with plumbing them together is the rear tank is several inches higher. That means you would only be able to utilize about hslf it's capacity. Easiest route in my opinion is to find a wrecked truck of the same year and pull everything out of that. Otherwise you'll be building on to your original harness which turned into a pita for me because I'm not the best with wiring.

Edit: the tank is the same as the B2 tank, if you go that route just get the crossmember, tank, straps, nuts n bolts and skid pan.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I added a second tank to my 87 ranger. You will have to add the correct crossmember, tank straps, wiring, tank selector switch, tank selector valve, fuel hose, return line (if yours is efi) and filler neck.
The issue with plumbing them together is the rear tank is several inches higher. That means you would only be able to utilize about hslf it's capacity. Easiest route in my opinion is to find a wrecked truck of the same year and pull everything out of that. Otherwise you'll be building on to your original harness which turned into a pita for me because I'm not the best with wiring.

Edit: the tank is the same as the B2 tank, if you go that route just get the crossmember, tank, straps, nuts n bolts and skid pan.
Any pics? Thanks joey!

sooperxtool

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1993 2004
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have been curious about adding some fuel capacity also and I have been pretty turned off by all the work it would take to make it right. I'm relatively handy but I make no claim to be a fabricator by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't purchased it yet, but I think my favorite compromise is this portable tank that also includes a hose and nozzle. At $100 I think its reasonable. I have dirt bikes that it would be handy for too.

I don't recall if outside links are allowed... its called DuraMax Flo 'n Go and can be found on amazon

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Any pics? Thanks joey!
I'll have to get them when I get home sunday. Basically you just have to get the correct harness for the frame, install a selector switch, install the appropriate crossmember for the front of the auxiliary tank and then plumb it in. By installing the correct crossmember, it will bolt in using factory parts.

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15

Was your install basically plug and play? I found a dual tank ranger at the junk yard so I grabbed the whole wiring harness, selector valve, dash switch, fuel lines, rear tank and straps, and rear crossmember. I like the idea of having a dual tank set up but I am wondering if it is more trouble than it is worth. I have an 86 super cab 2.9EFI and the donor was a 85 single cab long bed 2.9EFI.

1. Is the wiring plug and play? It appears so to me. I see a wired plug in the dash harness for the switch. There is an empty fuse for "Aux tank" in the fuse panel. And the front of the fuel wiring harness looks like it will plug right in to the harness under the hood that comes out of the driver side firewall.
The only issue I see is that there was one plug that I don't have in my truck. The main fuel harness runs along the frame but there were 2 wires that lead into a plug that went up through the center of the floorboard behind the seats (single cab). I plan to go back and trace those wires.

2. Can I bench test the selector valve? Is there a noise it makes when changing or can I see a change in something down the inlet or outlet ports? Hate to install everything and have the valve not work.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Strelok:

The the Ranger front tank is 17 gls, a behind the axle Ranger auxiliary tank is 13 gls. BII behind the axle tanks are 23 gls; you could mount either with very little effort. I have also heard if individuals mounting the full size Bronco's 32 gl tank behind the axle.

I am currently finishing up a BroncoII behind the axle while having removed the forward tank completely. This is a very simple PROCEEDURE since I still only have one tank. I did use the forward cross member from a BII, then moved the Rangers rear cross member forward so that the tank's weight was as forward as possible.

Extending the wiring is simple as is extending the fuel lines. The thing most stumble over is adding the tank selection switch and associated wiring.

I have found that the full size Bronco tank is tempting, the only reason I am not currently going that route is that there are 2 different inlet styles; a 2" or 3½" inlet for the pump assembly.

Still thinking about it but the 2" style sounds like a nightmare.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BII tank does not fit the same as a Ranger tank, here is a BII tank install:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals