• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Same ole obsession, just a different life. Hi from a foot in TX and one in MS

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I only just joined this forum almost a year ago and at the time out of necessity, because I was trying to fix up a single cab I bought to sell. Unfortunately I didn't even break even and it's because it wasn't the best time of year to sell a no-ac truck along with I couldn't quite get the carb just right. Anyway, I used to frequent rangerpowersports 13-15 yrs ago and would roll to a MS car show to see some of the folks. Life happens, ya lose touch, you get back online and see entire websites are gone! :LOL:

Zip ahead some years, I've got 10+ vehicles, several Rangers, Life's grand. Baby on the way, up on bills, couldn't ask for anything more, and then it's all changed in a single moment. I lost my fiance Oct 1st '12 to a worthless drunk driver while she was on her way to work. She was 6 months pregnant.
I let alot go. My first Ranger I ever had. My 2nd. My 3rd. All of them except one, which is a project for another day. Even my 91 Thunderbird Sport (if you know of ANYONE selling one stock with a 5.0 HO hit me up PLS) Almost everything. Anyway, life gets crazy, but you have to keep moving forward.

Skip to now and here I am, getting used to that saddle again that is a 1st gen Ranger seat. Uncomfortable buggers they can be. This time last year, I was scouring craigslist throughout the country and I saw her... this prime... gorgeous when wet... red 86 supercab fully loaded... like a curvy lady... but for sale. I didn't care that she was over 2k miles away. I didn't care that I was out of work at the time. I had to have her. It had to happen. This was my dream truck, and a way to kind of make up for getting rid of my only other 86 I ever had, my first Ranger. The seller and I went back and forth and you know texts can be a pita when trying to get on the same page and feel each other out to make a deal. We finally get it sorted and I buy a ticket, I drive to south MS because it was cheaper to fly from but I didn't anticipate my ride bailing. I fly from Gulfport, MS through 2 connecting flights to Missoula, MT, uber some miles to Stevenson, MT and there she sits, calming waiting for me. It's love at first sight.
Cash exchanges hands, and my new baby and I are off. Slow n steady, feeling her out, listening to her whisper to me without saying a word. I proceed to make the trek back... just her and I on this over 2200+ mile trip back to Mississippi. It took me around 3-4 days and after the first night (i had been awake around 40 hours straight getting everything ready to go get the truck and flying there) and that one hotel, alot of napping in the truck and pressing forward. We ease back into town, and I can't remember if I had slept much or napped anywhere or what, but I do remember testing out the 4wd early on when getting into town. Ugh man it brings such a feeling... those first memories ya know? Anyway, here we are almost a year later. I picked her up around the end of April '18. I've put over 35k on her unfortunately, as I picked her up with a legit 64k only (hadn't rolled over yet) but she's been all I've had to drive since I got her because I did whatever it took to swipe her up. She needs some love and TLC but I'm trying to keep her up. A new clutch now. Some brakes then. A signal switch there. Ya know, whatever she desires.

Now with work, I'm in Texas having to navigate the ridiculousness also referred to as traffic, and this poor baby needs to be parked and pampered, not fighting to avoid the driving school rejects and over-compensators. We take a ride every other weekend back and forth to MS to see the kids, and she just keeps a'goin. ❤

I'm also back up to 4 Rangers now. this 86, an 87 I bought from Kansas that I am going to restore (she'll be a beauty!), the 88, and the one that was a project for me and my late fiance that I kept and will happen over the next couple of years.

P.S. - if the TRS 20yr reunion pops up any in Mississippi or Texas, let me know! I'm all stock but I can still at least hit dirt, some mud, and a drive-thru!

Attachments

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Welcome aboard!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Sorry for you losses.
Congrats on getting a handle on that, I'm sure it was rough.
Also, I love the way you wrote that post. Do you write for a living?

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh thank you. Nope, just in IT work here in Texas. I'm flattered nonetheless! I'm from Mississippi (so I couldn't tell you where the reasonable writing comes from! ?)

And ty for the condolences. I hope I've a handle on it, but I wouldn't wish such on my worst enemy. It's... there aren't words. Anyway, I just try to keep productive and moving forward.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals