• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Routing cable for backup camera

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I fully understand that the radio is receiving power on the reverse sense wire, not supplying it.

You're applying power to the wire using your switch so that the radio believes it's in reverse and switches over to the camera. When you do so - what else is physically on the same circuit as that wire? Without a diode in place to block current going the other direction, you'd almost have to be sending it the other direction towards the range sensor as well as the reverse lights. If you have a wiring diagram handy (I don't at the moment), this might make a lot more sense to all of this.

For what it's worth, I'm not just trying to be argumentative here. I've got a camera on my '99 that I'll be wiring up whenever the truck is finished and was hoping to do the same thing with a bypass switch, but every time I looked at the issue I noticed the reverse light concern and didn't have a solution other than a diode. That's why I'm questioning this.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ahhh i get where you are confused now. In my case im not using an additional switch, my camera is simply designed to run constantly and turn the the display on when in reverse. I can also turn the display on manually but im using the menu on the camera not a toggle switch.

I think eric is using a double throw switch. One side lets it get power from reverse, flip the switch and it diconnects the reverse wire and connects power from 12 volt constant. The 2 poles don't connect to each other so power is only ever going one direction.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Thanks for clarifying your install - that definitely sheds some light.

Yes - a double pole switch would probably work well. Not sure why I didn't consider that possibility. If Eric confirms, I'll definitely look into that option.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Finally had some time to look into this...
I cant find the grommet for the clutch master cylinder ; i dont feel comfortable playing with the grommet where the main wiring harness goes through the firewall, so I think i'll either use the grommet for the shifter cable or drill a hole on the transmission tunnel under the plastic tray. Still undecided.
Also, i found out i have 2 connectors at the back of the radio ... my adapter only has one, what is the other one for (not talking about the antenna obviously, but a second square clip multipin connector) ? i have a fairly basic radio as far as i know, no CD changer
Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What radio is it?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm not using any kind of external switch. Mine operates the way Dirtman described. The camera is always on. The radio's internal circuitry decides to show the camera view on the screen or some other graphic display. It automatically goes to camera view when the reverse sensing wire of the radio sees the 12 volts coming FROM the transmission reverse switch (backup light circuit) or when I push a button on the radio itself to switch the display source. There is no way for power to come from the radio or camera to make the reverse lights come on. Unfortunately, I am busy with a divorce and buying a house/moving and don't have time to create and upload diagrams at this time.

As for the connectors on the back of your radio, well, there are many different configurations out there. Knowing the model of the radio would help. But you should be able to get wiring info on the internet, perhaps from the manufacturer's website.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What radio is it?
I'm talking about the stock radio, it's the single CD+MP3 on a 2007 ranger. It is connected with 2 connectors at the back, the harness i bought (Scosche FD16B) to connect my new head unit (ATOTO SA102) only fits one of these 2.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am busy with a divorce and buying a house/moving and don't have time to create and upload diagrams at this time.
Sorry to hear that !

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm talking about the stock radio, it's the single CD+MP3 on a 2007 ranger. It is connected with 2 connectors at the back, the harness i bought (Scosche FD16B) to connect my new head unit (ATOTO SA102) only fits one of these 2.
Ford used the same stereos in a lot of different vehicles. Some models had volume and other functions in the steering wheel. IDK for sure, but maybe the other receptacles are for those applications.
or maybe the new harness ties both receptacles together, making the other one obsolete.
or maybe you got the wrong part.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh the second connector is just the aux input. Just pulled the bezel and I can see where it goes.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Sorry to hear that !
Thanks. It'll be ok. I was just trying to let you know I'm not trying to be lazy or noncooperative with wiring diagrams. I normally would help with that. I've been an
electrician since 1982. Started learning that stuff from my dad as a kid in the 70's. It's what I do and I like to help.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm not using any kind of external switch. Mine operates the way Dirtman described. The camera is always on. The radio's internal circuitry decides to show the camera view on the screen or some other graphic display. It automatically goes to camera view when the reverse sensing wire of the radio sees the 12 volts coming FROM the transmission reverse switch (backup light circuit) or when I push a button on the radio itself to switch the display source. There is no way for power to come from the radio or camera to make the reverse lights come on. Unfortunately, I am busy with a divorce and buying a house/moving and don't have time to create and upload diagrams at this time.

As for the connectors on the back of your radio, well, there are many different configurations out there. Knowing the model of the radio would help. But you should be able to get wiring info on the internet, perhaps from the manufacturer's website.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. From your previous post I thought you had added an external switch to send 12v into the reverse sensing wire on the radio to force it to switch to the camera feed on command. That's why I thought you'd be back feeding into the light circuit. If you're just doing it from the radio's own controls you'd obviously be fine.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi here's an update on my progress. I successfully tested the wiring last night! I routed the video cable and ignition power through the grommet of the shifter cable then going down towards the parking brake cable then inside the frame rail by the fuel filter.
As suggested above I ran a power cable which I spliced from the red (ignition) cable from the radio harness to get constant power to the camera when the truck is on. Drilled a hole behind the rear light and used that as ground with a self tapping screw and a ring crimp connector. Made a pigtail slice on the rear light cable to the signal cable.
All seems to work! Now I need to finish tidying up the cables under the truck with more zip tires and fish them behind the dash.
Thanks everyone for the help super useful as usual!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals