• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rod knock

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
Yesterday I started getting a rod knock in the lower part of my engine best heard when dipstick is removed and I put a hose up to it I believe it’s a rod bearing so I put a quart of 20w-50 in it. Someone else told me to check my oil sending unit and my oil pressure gauge stopped working a while back so I don’t know if I have oil pressure or not

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yesterday I started getting a rod knock in the lower part of my engine best heard when dipstick is removed and I put a hose up to it I believe it’s a rod bearing so I put a quart of 20w-50 in it. Someone else told me to check my oil sending unit and my oil pressure gauge stopped working a while back so I don’t know if I have oil pressure or not
Buy a actual, mechanical gauge and install that.

It only takes 3 psi or something stupid to make the stock gauge show normal. I had cooked mains and like 4 rod bearings on my 97 460 and the stock gauge showed normal pressure.

Are you sure theres enough oil in it? And are you sure that its really a rod youre hearin?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
Buy a actual, mechanical gauge and install that.

It only takes 3 psi or something stupid to make the stock gauge show normal. I had cooked mains and like 4 rod bearings on my 97 460 and the stock gauge showed normal pressure.

Are you sure theres enough oil in it? And are you sure that its really a rod youre hearin?
Yeah I’ve had multiple people look at it and it’s definitely coming from the lower part of the engine and after I put the thick oil in it got a little quieter someone also suggested it could be my oil sending unit

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
Yeah I’ve had multiple people look at it and it’s definitely coming from the lower part of the engine and after I put the thick oil in it got a little quieter someone also suggested it could be my oil sending unit
Also on the gauge I was thinking about getting pillar gauges do you recommend a good brand and what other gauges I should get in it

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If its knocking then the sending unit is least of your worries.

Also on the gauge I was thinking about getting pillar gauges do you recommend a good brand and what other gauges I should get in it
Im partial to sunpro. But i wouldnt even worry about that untill you rebuild it/replace the motor/scrap the truck.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea, forget the engine getting ready to explode... A guage pod is the obvious priority here! Definitely get a boost guage.

AZRANGERDUDE99

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 v6 flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Built not bought
Yea, forget the engine getting ready to explode... A guage pod is the obvious priority here! Definitely get a boost guage.
Well I’ve been saving up to by a new jasper motor for it anyways it’s got a shit ton of miles on it

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well I’ve been saving up to by a new jasper motor for it anyways it’s got a shit ton of miles on it
Well if that's the case... The guage pod is definitely a better investment than an engine from jasper.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what it's worth, my Ranger is a 98 that I bought in 2000. First oil change, I put full 20W-50 in it. It's had nothing but 20W-50 year round for 19 years. Never had a problem. I also run 20W-50 in both of my motorcycles. One is a 2006 that I bought new, the other a 2008, also bought new. Nothing but 20W-50. EVER!

I'm on the fence with my 2004 Ford Lightning. I use the specified 5W-20 when I change it. but use 20W-50 to top it off when needed. The 98 Ranger, IIRC, called for 10W-30 on the stock oil cap. So 20W-50 is not out of the question at all. My Lightning, the oil cap says 5W-20. But the reading I've done says the thin colored water oil is only required for manufacturers to meet their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) requirements. Some asshats in oil change places try to tell me my 98 Ranger is a 5W-20 vehicle. I'm like, "Dude, 5W-20 colored water oil didn't exist in 1998. Asshole." So, I change the oil in my vehicles at home in my garage. Their loss is my gain. I get the oil I want, they lose my business. It's all good!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well that certainly was a very scientific and rational argument against using the proper weight oil. Screw all those engineers with their tolerances and "math"! Oil viscosity is the greatest hoax in automotive history!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well that certainly was a very scientific and rational argument against using the proper weight oil. Screw all those engineers with their tolerances and "math"! Oil viscosity is the greatest hoax in automotive history!
Why do I need to be scientific? I've used that weight oil for 19 years and 151,000 miles (in the Ranger all by itself, not withstanding all the other vehicles I've use it in over the years). No problems. You want to run colored water for oil, be my guest. I'll stick with my Valvoline 20W-50. The manual I have for my 98 Ranger 3.0 says that 20W-50 is acceptable for use. It's good down to like negative 30 or 40 degrees at start up. Both of my bikes manuals say that weight is good for daily use. I'm not a believer in CAFE standards, nor do I care about "green" bullshit. Which is what the local oil change places try to shove down my throat.

I assume you're one of them AOC champions. She's as dumb as a box of rocks. You can have her.

You like your colored water oil, you can keep your colored water oil. Me, I prefer oil that feels like oil. I'm glad I can still walk into any auto parts store and pick up gallon bottles of 20W-50 OIL in just about any brand I choose.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Lol, oil has a political affiliation. Who knew?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals