• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Road Speed vibration

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So am I barking up the wrong tree?

Have 2005 4x4 FX. I have a vibration at highway speeds that is slowly getting worse.

When it was in the shop a while back for a fuel pump issue and the mechanic suggested I have the steering looked at. I had a bit of a 'pump whine' but nothing serious.

Since that time the highway speed vibration had slowly gotten worse. I've had the front end alignment checked at NTB ( now Big O ), nothing found and my personal check didn't find and loose joints.

Sooooo, could a rack and pinion problem cause a vibration at highway speeds?

Should I also do the pump in case it got any shavings or such in it?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would check the tire pressures and tread first, just because its easy and obvious, then for loose joints as you have, maybe an alignment, but have you checked your shocks?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in no particular order: tire wear pattern, wheel bearings, U-joints, wheel balance. those are the usual suspects.

run your hand over the tires, any patterns should be easily felt.

I have never had a rack cause vibrations. my 2005 2WD has the original rack with 345,500+ miles. not saying it can't happen, just not to me.

it is possible to flush the power steering fluid. remove the return line at the reservoir and route it into a big bucket. plug the return inlet on the reservoir.
have an assistant start the engine and steer left to right while you QUICKLY pour fluid into the RAPIDLY EMPTYING reservoir. I use about 2 quarts/liters. use more if you want a bigger mess to clean up.

place a couple of "greased sandwiches" under the tires to prevent scruffing. you can make them out of virtually anything, gallon plastic containers for me.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Vibrations at hwy speed sounds like a simple wheel balance or bad tires pressure . I'd start there.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Had a severe version of this on my F250 - hit a pothole and the steering wheel would shake violently side to side until I backed down to 40 or so. Old tires were the culprit, problem went away with new rubber and an alignment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals