• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reverse 5th gear external adjustment

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
New to the forum. I've lurked for a while to help with work on my 91 Ranger 4.0 4x4. I just installed my rebuilt M50D-R1. Shortly after installing it I noticed the counter assembly holding bolt lever that attaches to the reverse/5th fork (I think). There was no bolt holding it in place (see picture) so naturally I reached up and twisted it. It is free to rotate. Since goofing with it I have had difficulty putting it in reverse. Sometimes it won't slip into the reverse "slot" at all, and when it does gears grind when I let off the clutch. It will engage and stay in reverse if I hold the shift lever down with force. I've never dealt with the inside of a transmission before and don't have any insight as to what is happening. Is there a proper way to adjust this lever? Will adjusting it clear up the reverse issue?

Also, there is a bracket just above and to the rear of the lever that I cannot figure out what it should hold (picture). I was obviously in too much of a hurry when I took it apart and didn't record what was there. Can anyone provide any direction as to what should be there?

Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It isn't an adjustment. That shaft going through it is part of the 5/R fork assembly. I can't remember exactly what it is for off the top of my head. The shaft has an o-ring seal on it, the plate you messed with is to retain the shaft and keep it from falling in/out of the transmission.

The bracket looks to be for a vent tube of some sort.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That bracket holds the (missing) vent hose from the transfer case, The rubber hose just slips into the notch

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! It looks like there was a bolt through the plate at some point. I guess I’ll thread a small bolt through there and see how it behaves.

I’ll also put a new vent tube in.

blockhead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just found a bolt that fit and put the plate in place. All seems to be working properly again. Classic case of overthinking things.
I also put a vent tube on. Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals