• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing SBF Duraspark Pickup Coil

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster: 85_Ranger4x4

Difficulty: 3 out of 10

Time to install: 1hr

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: Replacing the pickup coil is not as daunting as one may think. I was on the fence about it vs just getting a remain distributor and I had to really dig on the internet to find out how to do it. So here is how I did it, keep in mind this is delicate work, don't get carried away with the hammer or prybars.

Tools Needed:
- Needlenose Pliers
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Prybars
- 5/8" Spark Plug Socket
- Hammer
- 1/8" Punch

Parts Needed:
- Pickup Coil (Standard Motor Products LX204 for example)
- Reluctor in case you break it (Standard Motor Products LX206, MOTORCRAFT DT1 {#D3AZ12A099A, D4AF12A099AA)

Step One: Get the distributor cap out of the way, I pulled half the plug wires and flopped it off to one side.

Step Two: Remove the rotor and if applicable the distributor cap spacer.

Step Three: Remove the reluctor (paddle wheel looking thing)

Be careful, they can break. The distributor in the truck is pretty new, it came out easily. The old one I experimented on first wasn't so fortunate.

Watch for the spiral pin used as a key to keep the reluctor timed to the shaft.

Step Three: Remove the E clip, put somewhere very safe as it is very small and usually magnetic so it is extra ornery. Work the advance lever off the pickup, they don't always come easy so be patient.

Step Four: Remove the screw that holds the grommet to the distributor housing.

Step Five: Remove the clip that holds the pickup coil to the distributor. It is tricky in that it blends in, is hard to see and the gap is tight so it can take a bit to find the ends.

Step Five: Disconnect the harness from the distributor that runs to the Duraspark box. Work the grommet out of the housing, then work the pickup back and forth and off the distributor.

Step Six: Compare your parts and make sure you got the right one and the guy at the parts store didn't try to sneak you a TFI one.

Step Seven: Set the new pickup in place. Hook up the vacuum advance and install the E clip. Go slow and don't lose the clip, it is tiny and all but made of air... and mine was magnetic for added entertainment.

Step Eight: Install the clip that holds the pickup coil assembly in the distributor.

Step Nine: Put the grommet in its place and reinstall Phillips head screw.

Step Ten: Install the reluctor. Set it on the shaft, line up the notches in the shaft and the reluctor. Using a socket and a hammer lightly tap the reluctor into place. Be careful, you are not driving railroad spikes.

Step Eleven: Install the spiral pin. Tap it into place with the punch and hammer.

Then reconnect the ignition harness to the distributor, reinstall the rotor, cap/collar and plug wires and test run.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals