• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing and replacing Driver's side Core Plug; Mystery cylinder

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Hello All,

After the forum helped me to get my sorted from an ignition issue, about 5 minutes of running later a core plug blew out on the driver's side just above the motor mount. After examination I've determined a few things:

1. Plug was severely rusted and I'm glad it failed while I was doing testing.
2. The other two core plugs on the block (passenger side) are fine
3. I have no clue how to get a good angle on removing the core plug. The frame rail is in the way of a direct attack. I've removed the oil filter and driver's front tire which has helped, but still can't get a clean shot to try and pry up the rim of the plug.
4. This plug is in such bad shape that it's coming out in chunks versus me able to flex the metal to start moving the rim of the plug

With all that being said, does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to tackle this with the engine in the truck? I don't have the ability to pull it out of the truck. I do have the ability to lift it up a bit, though that will require loosening quite a bit of stuff.

Also found a mystery cylinder on the driver's side frame rail near the bumper of the truck. One end has an electrical connection and the other a rubber hose that presently is not connected to anything. Anyone have any idea on that one?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Push the plug in and forget about it. Then buy a rubber expansion plug and install it. Make sure to clean the rust from the hole and maybe use some pipe dope to prevent rust from coming back. Make sure the rubber plug is installed square or it will blow out. Don't ask how I know....

The other I don't know. At first I was thinking charcoal canister but they don't have an electrical plug. Daytime running light module doesnt use vacuum. Sorry, maybe someone else has an idea.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
There is a valve that goes to the charcoal canister with both a vacuum line and an electrical connector. It should be in the area described.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Some of the core plugs can be a real test of patience. I typically used a screw driver to punch a hole through the center and then try to get behind the lip and pry out. If that doesn't work... as floored said... push it through. Once through I always give it the old college try to get it out. I don't think it will give you issue if you can't get it out... but I have always tried. I would also at least put forth effort to install a metal plug before just putting in a rubber expandable. A wobble extension and a socket might give you enough angle to send the metal plug home. Before attempting... clean the plug bore and coat the plug sealing edge with gasket shellac. If that fails... install a rubber one. As floored said... get it squared up before tightening. Buy two and keep one in the glove box... cause ya just never know when you may need it.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Thank you everyone for the advice. I went and bought some wobble extensions and regular extensions to see if I can setup a situation where I can swing from outside of the truck to pop the plug loose then extract with pliers. I'll keep everyone posted.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
So update... do to room constraints I ultimately had to use a rubber plug. I tried to jb weld a plug into position as I couldn't fully remove the old one and that didn't work. I finally took a 90 degree die grinder and ground through the old plug until I popped the ring and relieved the tension holding the plug in place. Came right out after that. I cleaned up everything really nice with brake cleaner then inserted the rubber plug. It's base size is 1.5 inches, which is the same diameter as the hole. I then cranked on the expander nut until it was quite snug. Put it all back together and the plug is holding after multiple heating/cooling cycles and some driving. PS pump is quite leaky but that's the only fluids I see dripping down from the bottom of the block. I finally have a drivable truck! Now to work on all those small things needed to make it legal to be on the road... Thank you to everyone who contributed advice when I was at wit's end.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Still haven't figured out my mystery cylinder. That's on my to due list along with fixing the other leaks in the vacuum system.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your "mystery" cylinder is probably the evap system purge valve.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Dirtman has it. Closer examination has revealed a very sad looking purge valve. I should have a new one coming in tomorrow. Does anyone know where specifically the canister mounts up? I don't see an obvious mount point. I also see on the vacuum diagram that the canister is inline with the charcoal canister and the pcv valve. However that particular fuel vapor line in my truck seems complete and not having missing sections. In fact, it's pre-formed with a rubber boot on the charcoal canister end and a standard vacuum line end on the other that plugs into the pcv valve. I'll cut into it if I need to to bring the purge valve canister in line but I wonder if I'm missing something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals