• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear leaf springer helpers or add a leaf

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I hate how my truck sits without anything real heavy in the bed. It literally looks like it is hauling a load of wood all day long. I've seen all sorts of different options for add-a-leaf or super springs. Has anyone used either of these two methods and if so are you happy with the results or would a different way be better? I do load wood and use a fair sized trailer (for a small truck that is) so I would like whatever option I go to actually help with the suspension and not just be a lifting block or something. Anyone have before and after pics of this as well? Thanks.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have used both add-a-leaf and air springs. I didn't care for the add-a-leaf because they made the rear very stiff when not loaded. Air springs are adjustable to the load (or no load) you are carrying.
There are a couple draw backs to air springs also. One is you normally have to check the air pressure and refill once a month or so. Two you usually need to replace the air bags periodically. I use Air Lift and they typically last at least 5 years but are not expensive to replace if you shop around. Firestone are more expensive but I think they last longer.
There are other options but I have no experience with them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The real solution is getting new springs. They loose arch over time. You can re-bend them with a 20 ton press, time, and alot of patience/skill.

Add-a-leafs will always stiffen the ride even on worn springs. If you're ok with that, its a cheap simple option. Ive done them on a bunch of trucks. Never get those cheap bolt on half helper springs though.

Never did air bags but it doesn't seem like a logical option if you're trying to restore unloaded ride height. You'd need them pressurized constantly which defeats their intended purpose.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Both are band-aids. If your leafs are shot and you have to pull them to install an AAL, might as well just do it right and replace the leaf packs; check General Springs; they're USA made and in my experience OEM grade or better.

My truck had Airlift bags installed by the previous owner. They're definitely capable of raising the back of the truck about 3" or more, but the ride will be really bouncy if you run them like that unloaded. They'd be a great addition for you if you do plan on towing, though.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sounds like your springs are just worn out... I would take a hard look at the spring hangers also. I've replaced a few of those in my past.

I would think you should just go with new spring packs to get it back to factory ride height.

I did put a pair of Hellwig over load springs on my 94 that I hauled a slide in camper with good results. They were there when the camper went in... and when not loaded it didn't affect the ride... I was overall happy with the results.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Never did air bags but it doesn't seem like a logical option if you're trying to restore unloaded ride height. You'd need them pressurized constantly which defeats their intended purpose.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. The air bags are supposed have pressure in them all the time. Low pressure for no load and higher pressures for greater loads. I just add enough pressure to bring the rear up to level when carrying a load or towing. When off-road, which is a lot, I usually lift the rear a little to get more clearance.
I run about 20psi in mine all the time because my shell is about 350 lbs which causes the rear to droop a little with no air bags. I would not say that defeats the intended purpose, it is the intended purpose.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I tried the air shock jobies once, I wasn't impressed. I did them because I got a close enough set for free (87-96 F-150 rear shocks fit a Ranger BTW) and needed rear shocks. Even at the rated max pressure they couldn't help raise my rear end. I went to coil-over helpers once I had the money.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have never liked the idea of air shocks. I don't think the vehicle mounts were intended to help carry load although they do get a good amount of force imposed on them when hitting something like a pot hole. I don't think you get a good quality shock with that kind of system either.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I think you can get 4 leaf explorer springs but will give you maybe an 1" over stock lift. There used to be coil springs you could put on the shocks as helpers but I haven't seen those in awhile.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals