• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Re studding studded snow tires?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Get ready for some stupid questions about tires from yours truly...

I like to run studded snows in the winter here in MA but I know that shops will only stud your tires if they are brand new, never driven on. From what I understand they won't re stud them down the line.

I have a set of really great 235/75/15 studded snows I run every winter, and while the tread is still like new, the studs are starting to get worn down.

Is there a reason you can't or shouldn't re stud them yourself? If it is possible and doesn't have negative consequences, where can you purchase studs and any tool needed to install them?

Even with 4 wheel drive I really like running the studded snows, in the past few years a lot of small towns I have to drive through have let a lot of ice accumulate on the roads and that's why I'm so concerned about the studs.

Thanks in advance

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
While I have no specific first-hand knowledge of the process, judging by the shape of the studs they could cause some serious damage to the treads if you try to remove them. That may be why shops won't re-stud. They don't want to be held liable for ripping a chunk out of someone's already old tire trying to remove a stud that wasn't meant to come out.

Here is a video on how to do it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWlERVi8IA

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cstarbard:

Recognize that while your studs might not be as aggressive as when initially installed, under the weight of the truck, on ice, they will still protrude from the rubber and do their job.

At $500+ for the stud gun, its not really cost effective for the home handyman to stud their own with std studs. I'm not sure if they sell screw in studs that aren't super aggressive.

Adsm08:

The reason we wouldn't stud tire after use in my dad's garage - any dust/rocks/etc in the hole prevents the stud from sticking in the hole (and it would probably be worse if existing stud had been removed). Stud coming out of tire at 70mph does bad things to fender liners and such. That speed isn't as difficult to achieve as it seems - open differential, good traction on one side/ice on other, then gas your truck to 35mph and the one side is suddenly doing 70mph.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
cstarbard:

Recognize that while your studs might not be as aggressive as when initially installed, under the weight of the truck, on ice, they will still protrude from the rubber and do their job.

At $500+ for the stud gun, its not really cost effective for the home handyman to stud their own with std studs. I'm not sure if they sell screw in studs that aren't super aggressive.

Adsm08:

The reason we wouldn't stud tire after use in my dad's garage - any dust/rocks/etc in the hole prevents the stud from sticking in the hole (and it would probably be worse if existing stud had been removed). Stud coming out of tire at 70mph does bad things to fender liners and such. That speed isn't as difficult to achieve as it seems - open differential, good traction on one side/ice on other, then gas your truck to 35mph and the one side is suddenly doing 70mph.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I figured there was a reason shops wouldn't do it. I know nothing about studding tires so I appreciate the education! :icon_thumby:

You make a good point about stud wear and the studs still contacting road under weight of vehicle. Guess I'll just keep running these tires until they are worn out and get another set of new studded tires then. Again I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals