• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Spare (donut vs full size)

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
My 99 Ranger has stock 245 75R16. I have a spare that is 255 70R16. A little wider and not quite as tall. I got it with a parts Explorer. It was in the back so I don't know what truck it was part of, but I see the impressions of the chassis on the sidewall where the spare tire is stowed.

I dropped my spare on the ranger and was surprised to find a donut, speed restricted, 15" steel wheel. Is this the standard equipment on a Ranger. What are the side effects of driving for any distance with that mounted? Is it possible that some Rangers might have a steel wheel spare that is 245 75R16? Thinking of checking junk yards next time I am around. I guess I also wonder if that tire would fit under the bed.

Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Most vehicle lines get a single spare tire/wheel for the whole run. They pick something that is either the same as the smallest stock size, or a "close enough" middle ground kinda deal that will work well with all stock sizes, and a cheap ugly rim. The idea is that the spare is supposed to be a temporary thing, not a full capability tire and will be replaced by a new or repaired road wheel soon.

I wouldn't be worried about damage, but you may want to run it on the front only. It could put extra stress on the spiders in the rear. And obviously no 4x4 while its on.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 02 has the same size as yours 245 75 16's . the stock spare that is still underneath is a steelie that is a 15 i believe - they call it in the spec sheet "Limited Service Mini Spare Tyre" . i would be interested to hear if your 16 inch spare fits under the bed. for whatever it's worth i would not be driving too hard anywhere on my spare as it is over 16 years old!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
my 02 has the same size as yours 245 75 16's . the stock spare that is still underneath is a steelie that is a 15 i believe - they call it in the spec sheet "Limited Service Mini Spare Tyre" . i would be interested to hear if your 16 inch spare fits under the bed. for whatever it's worth i would not be driving too hard anywhere on my spare as it is over 16 years old!
Ha, at least you carry yours with you. My spare sits out behind the garage next to my spare tire mount.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My 04 Ranger had 245/75 16's and a 15" spare, my 11 has 235/75 15's and a 16" spare that's about the same diameter. It makes sense to someone, I guess.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 99 Ranger has stock 245 75R16. I have a spare that is 255 70R16. A little wider and not quite as tall. I got it with a parts Explorer. It was in the back so I don't know what truck it was part of, but I see the impressions of the chassis on the sidewall where the spare tire is stowed.

I dropped my spare on the ranger and was surprised to find a donut, speed restricted, 15" steel wheel. Is this the standard equipment on a Ranger. What are the side effects of driving for any distance with that mounted? Is it possible that some Rangers might have a steel wheel spare that is 245 75R16? Thinking of checking junk yards next time I am around. I guess I also wonder if that tire would fit under the bed.

Thanks
My spare is a 16" Continental on a steel wheel. I guess it's whatever they get the best deal on. I have an aluminum 10 tear drop on order from a recycling yard to replace that wheel with a matching spare since my OEM tires are getting too dicey on wet roads. Since the spare is aluminum, I also ordered a tire cover to protect the spare. Once I figure out where the best place to locate a grommet for water drainage, I'll install one and hopefully keep the rim from getting too trashed.

Enough about me. For most Rangers, they have an open differential, so differences in tire size won't make a difference if there is a height mismatch outside of some handling issues depending on what axle it is on. If you have a limited slip, tire size mismatch is bad since it could burn up you clutches if driven too long. I imagine lockers will have problems too but generally, unless they are locked or you have an Auburn ECTEC, the locker isn't engaged on road and I wouldn't run locked if you have a mismatched spare off road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals