• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger '11 Rear Axle Swap to '04

Yspecv19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
First off, I'll say I'm new around here but very impressed with the amount of info. Also, I'm sure my question may have been asked before but couldnt find an exact answer to my question.

I recently found a '11 open 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears and disk brakes(obviously). My '04 rear is open with 4.10 gears and drums(obviously).

My main question is whether I will need to upgrade my brake master cylinder for the disk brakes? I could have swore I read somewhere that the stock master with the rear distribution block will work but I want to make sure. Also, just wanted to verify that the '11 axle is 3.25" diameter compared to 2.8" on my '04? Also, was just reading about gear ratios in the 4x4's. Will changing to 3.73 rear gears be compatible with my front end? What I just read was saying that it needs to be the same ratio.

Once again, sorry if this has already been asked but thanks for the info!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

4x4s must have the same axle ratios front and back
So if you have a 4.10 rear axle then front is 4.10 as well, if you change the rear to 3.73 then you must change the front to 3.73.
Are you sure rear is OPEN, 4x4s usually have L/S rear, not always but usually

Yes, the 2010/11 Ranger axle tubes are larger, info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-8_8-axle.shtml

There is a Mustang disc brake conversion that you can use on your current axle, seen here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/ford_ranger_rear_disc_brake_conversion.shtml

Stock Master is fine for rear disc brakes

IMO, I would wait to find a 2010/11 4.10 rear axle, or do Mustang conversion on existing axle
You could also remove the 4.10 ring and pinion from current axle and swap it to 2010/11 axle, there is a learning curve to setup ring and pinion gears but its good to learn new things, right :)

Good page to bookmark here, loads of "been there, done that" info: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml
The above links are from this data base

Last edited:

Yspecv19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
RonD,
Thanks for the info. I'd though about swapping my gears in but for the price hes asking($300), I dont know if I wanna go through the hassle when i could just search around and find a axle with 4.10s. I have seen the mustang conversion before and have still considered that. And yes, it is an open diff as is my current one(code 97).

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
unless you get that 2011 axle REAL CHEAP it isn't worth it, in my opinion.
the axle shafts are only 28 splines, there is no provision for the abs/speed sensor, the brake mounting flanges are different.

for your viewing pleasure:

Last edited:

Yspecv19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
unless you get that 2011 axle REAL CHEAP it isn't worth it, in my opinion.
the axle shafts are only 28 splines, there is no provision for the abs/speed sensor, the brake mounting flanges are different.

for your viewing pleasure:

Thanks for the link. The seller is asking $300. I talked to him and told him I dont think it would be worth the time to swap the gears and everything just to get disk brakes. I told him much nicer though. I mentioned the mustang brake swap to him and he said he's got a buddy that works a lot with mustangs. He's going to see if he has any mounting brackets and parts. If not, I may just break down and buy the kit from Summit.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you're inclined to do some research try Crown Vics. the bearing, mounting flange & bolt pattern will need to match. maybe 98?

that would be for a disc conversion, not the entire rear end.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Easy way to get disc brakes is to install an Explorer rear axle, and they're easy to find with 4.10's too and usually limited slips. They're also cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals