• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "Ricky"

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
And you get to enjoy the company of the TRS family....(some are slightly kooky).
Dude. We're straight up strange AF.

FlOoReD is right though, some of the absolute best mechanics I've ever seen hang around these parts. I've often wondered how much this site has helped keep these trucks around over the last 20 years.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While your at it you might want to feel your coolant hoses too to see if they are soft or cracked. That's how my radiator looked when I flushed it. My advice is to get a wide drain pan or cut down an old tot down to about 6-8 inches and use that for a catch pan as coolant gets everywhere. Pull the big hose at the bottom of the radiator and start flushing with a garden hose. Be sure to use concentrated coolant (no 50/50) since you will have more water in the system/engine than you might think and it's better to be safe than sorry since it is winter time. I think I filled 4-5 five gallon buckets when flushing out the nasty brown coolant.... Hope you got somewhere to take the waste too.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Pretty sure it's stock. I could be wrong.
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Nothing personal. I'd rather be driving my Bug.
While your at it you might want to feel your coolant hoses too to see if they are soft or cracked. That's how my radiator looked when I flushed it. My advice is to get a wide drain pan or cut down an old tot down to about 6-8 inches and use that for a catch pan as coolant gets everywhere. Pull the big hose at the bottom of the radiator and start flushing with a garden hose. Be sure to use concentrated coolant (no 50/50) since you will have more water in the system/engine than you might think and it's better to be safe than sorry since it is winter time. I think I filled 4-5 five gallon buckets when flushing out the nasty brown coolant.... Hope you got somewhere to take the waste too.
The Waste Management transfer station is just a little way down the interstate, and that's where the O'Reilly's guy suggested I take the old stuff. I do think I'll look into a couple more Homer buckets from the Home Despot, though.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The Waste Management transfer station is just a little way down the interstate, and that's where the O'Reilly's guy suggested I take the old stuff. I do think I'll look into a couple more Homer buckets from the Home Despot, though.
Never found a better way for that. You'll get your aim dead on someday. Then the petcock will break and **** everything all up.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
The drain plug on the bottom of radiator can be removed all the way. When I have done coolant drains on my 3.0, remove the radiator cap, and slowly loosen the drain plug. Let the coolant drain slowly into the pan, and after some time I remove the plug from the radiator. The rest flows out into the pan, no mess on the floor. Learned that from my dad decades ago. For getting rid of coolant, I have always taken to my mechanic, and he pours it into the can where all of the other coolant goes. Whoever comes and gets it when it full, no idea. Probably same type of company that gets all the other fluids when the container are full. Seeing that people dont maintain cooling systems has always been one of the many things that bothers me.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
To get the radiator to drain... try putting a few pounds of pressure into it with a pressure tester,(5-10 lbs) then open the petcock slowly. That will usually blow the clog out.
If you don’t have a pressure tester, go borrow one from the auto parts store.

You may make a little mess. Put a length of hose on the drain and run it into a bucket. That will keep the mess to a minimum.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
I actually pulled the drain plug out the other day when I made that first attempt to drain it, but I confess I didn't add any pressure (don't have a pressure tester...yet). Actually, a friend of mine has generously offered the use of his shop on Saturday, so we'll see if I can have better success on Round 2.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Here is another method I have used on vehicles like yours and worse. Fill the radiator with water and a good cleaner soap, run it for a drive. Turn off to let cool down, then fill with water to rinse, and drain. Stick the garden hose into radiator with plug and lower hose removed. Neglected cooling systems are a pain to deal with. Make sure you clean the overflow tank, do a complete engine block flush also. Good luck with this.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also, dad showed me the one where if you have a pinhole, add ground black pepper. Sometimes will work, and is a hell of a lot better than using stop leak.

Oh yeah, btw air cooled weirdo, NEVER use a radiator stop leak product on something you care about. I think most of us learned that lesson at least once ☠

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard of pepper for plugging pinholes and crack an egg for larger holes.... Never tried the egg or the pepper... If a radiator is leaking then it just needs replaced. Anyone know if the egg theory holds true? I wonder who the hell first thought of using an egg in the damn radiator. Crazy ass people...

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
New fun, this morning. Emergency brake didn't let go. The pedal popped up to the released position, but wheels didn't get the memo. Goosed the gas and got moving, been driving normally since, but this is the second time it's happened. Just not excited about it. Much more common is the sensation as I push that pedal down that it's not pulling any cable. It's really inconsistent.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would suspect one or more of the e-brake lines. They should be used consistently or they rust inside, and most people never do use them often.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What he means is fix the E brake and power slide every single corner from now on. ????

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
For what it's worth, I set that brake every time I get out of the vehicle.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Okay, I've got the new radiator, new water pimp (yes, pimp), and new thermostat. Radiator's drained. Thermostat housing is off. Flush now through the thermostat seat? Wait until the pimp is off the block? Or is this when I sacrifice the chicken and make a Jackson Pollock with it's innards?
IMG_20200111_135218.jpgIMG_20200111_134321.jpgIMG_20200111_133432.jpgIMG_20200111_154907.jpgIMG_20200111_172656.jpg
Edit: Well, things are back in. New radiator and thermostat, but I didn't manage the water pimp. Still no heat, so I'll have to try again and look more closely at the heater core.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals