• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Lab Wagon

BSwift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm building out a 89 B2 from three B2's. The 85 model has no motor or drive train but has doors with wing windows and the hatch has the lift glass. The two 89's, one an Eddie Bauer edition was totaled by the insurance company from a hail storm but it has a 80% good interior and 4.11 limited slip axels and the other is a XLT model with 2.9l and 5 speed with manual transfer case, has a clean title and crap interior. Looking to build a dependable vehicle for hunting and general off road use but still good on the pavement. Generally looking to haul my Labradors around and not worrying about how wet the back gets after they swim.
I would like to use the stock wheels from the Eddie Bauer, 15"x 8" rims at at least a 235 tire or slightly taller if I can find them. Does anyone think I would have any issue using 16" wheels with 245's from an Explorer or Ranger (later models of course) without needing a different offset? I'm only looking into a lift of 1.5 to 2"s. I would appreciate sources for front springs (new or used) to achieve the modest lift. I'll convert the automatic hubs to manuals off of the 85 model and have already upgraded the rear drive shaft. Not opposed to using any particular wheel but I have 14 stock type wheels, so if my tire choices are too limited, I'll look at using different wheels.
My first Ranger was an 85 XL 4x4 and then I got an 89 XLT 4x4 that I had for 13 years and still wish I had. My folks got the first B2 in Oklahoma in 83 and we had a 73 old Bronco at that time. Always wanted to do this project but life got in the way. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the tech info and expertise from this group. The search function is nice but sometimes over whelms with too much information, LOL. Going to rebuild one of the 2.9's, new clutch, clutch master/slave cylinder, pressure plate and throw out bearings, headers (if possible) new exhaust, and possibly a snorkel. I've seen some nice winch and bumper setups on here and it has given me some ideas. Also plan to replace the radiator and possibly delete the A/C. Thought about adding an under dash setup with heat and A/C, costs start around $800 so it is within the realm of possibilities.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Lab wagon. I get it. I have a Labrador and have actually thought that a Bronco II would be practical because I can just open the hatch and let him in, versus trying to stick him in that small space in an extended cab.

Building an '89 with the vent windows in the doors and using the rear hatch with opening glass would be really cool.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Seems like it wasn't that long ago that a member here recommended NOT driving around with that rear glass opened up. His broke on him while driving with it open.

That would also free up those wing window doors so you could send them to me. ;)

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I bet that thing is gonna smell great after about 2 trips to the local swimming hole. I wouldn't worry about putting good interior pieces unless you're talking rubber floors and vinyl seats.

BSwift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've grown accustomed to the smell of wet Labs, LOL:poop:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They mKe those removable canvas covers that might help. When they get too stinky, just throw them in the wash.

BSwift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually thinking about Flex Seal. Then I can just wash it out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
In some circles... road tripping with wet dirty bird dogs is a right of passage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals