• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Gotta have a reliable dd! Hope your lady isn't giving you a hard time lol. I just bought my wife a truck and we are selling off our older trucks. Sometimes less is more.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Surprisingly, the gf was actually on board with this. She ran me way out to get it after a night shift and almost no sleep. I know she's tired of me always having an older project that looks bad and eats cubic money. I think she thinks it somehow reflects on her.
Brainstormed with a buddy over why it died on the way home and it might be the vent on the fuel system. Might not be as terminal as it felt last night.

Rowdy buddy, I hope you're keeping the important stuff.

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
We are selling my 99 ranger, my 94 cummins and 96 dodge 2500 with a V10. Keepin the F350, my green ranger and my willys truck.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The guy I bought the F250 from finally took the ad down. These are the pix from his ad:

This is already a project truck. It died before getting home. I've wanted another F-250 SD pretty much since losing my '03 around 5 years ago. No its not how I wanted one but I could afford this and these things are as easy to change things with as Rangers are.
Gotta love this about Fords.
For the time being, its paid for and I hate carrying debt. Next up: check for fuel and spark.

Edit: I hate myself for doing this to a truck with this many kilometers but I carded the air filter with ether and it tried to run on it. So spark confirmed, I have a fuel supply problem.
Picked up a fresh pump (kit?) made by Delphi and a Napa fuel filter. Rain or shine, I'm under this this weekend.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Okay. I have to make a serious decision about this truck.
>Extended hiatus (or)
>Part it out.

The basic truck itself has nothing going for it. Its an extended cab Ranger 2WD. I have a ridiculous amount of things for it with relatively little actually bolted onto it. I haven't driven it in years and can't see an end to the expenses before I can actually drive it again.
I really have lost interest in it. I walk past it almost daily and it actually depresses me to see it, knowing it will never be finished.

(I reread that last paragraph a few times)

Well, there it is, I guess.
One of the things about the 2005 SD is the amount of stuff I can get for it. Very little has to be cobbled together, unlike the Ranger. I can search for months without finding usable stuff for it or having to make something from nothing.

Relax, I'm not dumping the majority of the parts nor am I quitting the RBV community. I still have the 5.0 Sploder and (surprisingly) the Bronco II.

But this project is finished.

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
The gf made a comment yesterday. To paraphrase, " if you get a car shelter, you would have someplace to keep the red truck (meaning the Ranger.)" So there is a hope of saving it.
My brain is still attached to this POS. I've held onto it because I still want to do it despite her protests.
I need to back down from my lofty goals for it. I had champagne tastes on a beer budget. It wouldn't work.

Stay tuned. I'm bringing this back from the dead. Give me a bit to sort out the current junk though.

BTW, I am "prerunner" with a name change.

Last edited:

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. Nearly a year without TRS. Had an issue logging in for about that long. Resolved?
Still have the same menagerie of Fords.
Been working on the Exploder a lot lately. Recently got another commitment from the gf to keep the Ranger provided I get it out of her garage. lol
The SD has been the garden gnome of late.

Good to be back.

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to say it guys but I'm drastically changing direction in my life and hobbies. And will likely move away from here within a few months.
The Ranger will fall by the wayside and many of my collected parts will be sold off. I need the money.

I'm keeping the Exploder, the Superduty and oddly, the Bronco II will make a comeback, replacing the Ranger.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Damn. Sad to see this one go.

wiggle_wagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 5.0 Explor
Make / Model
Blue 0val.
Transmission
Automatic
Damn. Sad to see this one go.
I haven't done anything to it in about two years. My interests have gone elsewhere and I can't fault the gf for wanting her garage back. The main reason I've hung on so long is it was a storage spot full of Dana axles, cab for tools, then it started getting buried under miscellaneous crap like carpets and reno materials.
Nothing takes the wind out of your sails on a project like having an old toilet on it.
I can honestly say I don't see myself getting back to it. So the only person I'm kidding about finishing it is me.
Meanwhile, theres a kingpin Dana 60 buried in the back of it worth around a grand that I'm not going to need now and could use the cash for other projects. But if the gf decides to call a scrap truck to haul it away all is lost.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Well, what’s the verdict? I’m slowly getting back into rangers again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals