• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Potential Ranger

CajunLanMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice on whether or not to pull the trigger in a "free like a puppy" Ranger.

My father in law is getting rid of his '98. 4.0L auto 4x2. It's got a bit less than 60k miles on it. He is very mechanically savvy, and I have no doubt the engine is in great shape. A/C works, etc.

Sounds great for a free truck, right?

Here's the deal. I'm in Utah. The truck is in Ontario, Canada. So suddenly there's a decent amount of cost (for me anyway) in expenses to get it home, whether that's in gas driving up there with a flatbed to pick it up, or flying up and driving it back. Either way I'm looking at about $1000 in travel expenses (fuel, hotel, food, etc). My main concern is rust. 20 year old vehicles in Ontario are quite rusty, and this one is no different. (see attached photos) I'm getting mixed opinions in my friend/coworker circle on how bad this rust really is. I'm not really concerned about the appearance of the vehicle. I'm just wondering about the structural integrity. I also don't mind the elbow grease involved in getting rid of/treating the rust. Cost is the big factor. As for what I want to do with the truck, just having another vehicle would be helpful. If I get a year out of it, and it dies, it's worth it, I think. If I get a wild hair and decide to fix it up over time, so be it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Sorry, I took one look at that frame and components....if my next door neighbor wanted to give me something like that I'd pass, and thats just walking 100 feet.
You have the costs involved in bringing an out of country vehicle into the USA, titling, licences, ect ect.
Plus your travel there and back.
Pic of frame...probably need shocks, exhaust, brakes, anything rubber, and front end might be worse. Frame crossmember in photo looks almost rusted thru.
Seems you'd be throwing good money at it, even for free.
Me, I'd pass
Grumpaw

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How many hoops do you have to jump thru to title it? If there is a major inspection I would definitely pass. What is a similar truck in your area worth?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, so I'd probably go and get it. That 4.0 OHV engine with 60k is probably worth a grand if it's in as good a shape as you expect. My 98 is pretty rough underneath from the salty MD winters. They salt like crazy around here. Structure is still good though. That one is quite a bit worse but you really couldn't assess the structural integrity without getting a good close look. You probably won't get rid of the rust but you can slow it's progression for a while at least. May be worth your while, good excuse for a road trip...

CajunLanMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate all of your input. I've decided that if I can rope it into one of the trips to pick up my stepson, I'll go ahead and bring it down. If not, I won't sweat it.

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals