• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible to adapt the passenger side headlight assembly from a 98 Ranger to a 95 Ranger?

Cyb3rst0rm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
So basically I totaled my 98 and bought a 95 from the local scrapyard (they get driveable vehicles once in a while). My 98 was a Standard Cab XLT Flairside and the impact completely destroyed the cooling system and the drive side lights, but left the passenger side intact (it also bent the frame). My 95 is an Extended Cab XLT with a normal long bed. The main problem with it currently is that it was obviously damaged by an impact with some manor of animal. The headlight fixture is compltely destroyed, and the hood has a very minor bend directly above that but the bumper and turn signal below are unscathed. The windshield is also cracked from what I assume was a deer antler impact.

Basically my question is can I make the passenger headlight fixture fit onto my 95? It doesn't need to be perfect. I'm just trying to get the truck street legal while I wait for the correct fixture in the mail. I'm pretty sure if push came to shove I could secure the outer assembly with some sort of combo of adhesive, tape, and zip ties, but will the socket fit onto the new assembly?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Why don't you just swap all the good95 stuff for the 98 damaged stuff and be done? It's a backward swap from new to old, but it might work.

Cyb3rst0rm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you just swap all the good95 stuff for the 98 damaged stuff and be done? It's a backward swap from new to old, but it might work.
You mean swap the entire sheet metal assembly and fittings from the 98 forward of the cab onto the 95?

I destroyed the bumper, grill, bent the frame (which bent both quarter panels and the hood) and all of the drivers side lights and it bent the entire front half of the drivetrain up by about 5 degrees. It still starts and moves but the truck is pretty much dead as far as being a drivable vehicle. Hence why I'm just trying to get the passenger light from the 98 onto the 95 to get it street legal while I wait for parts that will actually make everything match up right. I just want the 95 street legal right now, the 98 is far beyond repair without a frame machine, welding tools and skills, etc. The 95 also has less miles than my 98 (259k vs 310k) and is just an all around better truck with the premium audio package, cruise control, etc, broken lights aside.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
They both have damage to the front? I don't understand why you wouldn't just wait till it's ready then take it to get inspected

Cyb3rst0rm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
They both have damage to the front? I don't understand why you wouldn't just wait till it's ready then take it to get inspected
I think we've had a communications failure.... Maybe I should wait until I have pictures. But yeah, ones front end is destroyed, the other has just a broken headlight.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I think we've had a communications failure.... Maybe I should wait until I have pictures. But yeah, ones front end is destroyed, the other has just a broken headlight.
No. You were clear. I was confused. After reading it again I understand. The 95 is less damaged, the 98 is totalled but has a good headlight that you want to use in the 95.

Cyb3rst0rm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
No. You were clear. I was confused. After reading it again I understand. The 95 is less damaged, the 98 is totalled but has a good headlight that you want to use in the 95.
Yep, I was wondering how much work would be required to make that work (or if it can be done at all)

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Zip ties should do it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals