• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Part # anyone?

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
I stopped by my local Ford dealer today and they couldn't help so here I am. 1999 4wd. When I remove my wheel bearing/hub assembly there is a small spring and a white plastic c clip that have to come out before the assembly will slide off the axle. Ford can't get them for me and their diagrams don't even show the parts. I don't know the technical names so Ive searched axle retainer and all I find is an orange seal which I do not have. Can anyone help? Oh here I found some pics.
Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: https://therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/98_00_Ranger_hub_bearing.htm

1998-2000 Ranger 4WDs had PVH(pulse vacuum hubs) which tended to be unreliable over the short time they were used

If the parts you seek are part of the PVH system then don't try to find them, replace both hubs with manual hubs

Shown here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/AVM_hub_swap.shtml

If you are still wanting to then post in the Wanted To Buy section, for PVH hubs, those that replaced these with manual hubs may still have parts for the PVH

EDIT:
That white plastic unit should be replaced with the orange one as far as I can tell: F87Z-3B457-AA
Call a "circlip"

Needs a special tool to install it, and its not available any more, of course, lol.

Read here on home made version: https://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/wheel-hub-cv-axle-snap-ring-43390/

Last edited:

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Thanks. The first link seems to be bad. It wouldn't pull a page. Also the truck has manual lock hubs already. I'm not sure why they would replace the white c clip with the orange 'seal'. Where did you see info on that?

Just saw your reply on the other forum. So the orange seal replaces the white c clip AND the steel spring washer. Ok great I'll look into that.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Just an update. I ordered the part F87Z-3B457-AA and it is the SAME part. The two pics I posted are actually the one part which apparently had come apart. The new part is the two pieces combined. thanks again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work

Thanks for posting the FIX and correct part number

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I don't know how you installed the clips but I have a 98. I installed the metal clip over the plastic one expanded it with my hands over the axle shaft. I then used a deepwell socket that barely fit over the white cclip so I was pushing on the metal clip and the plastic clip at the same time. I just shove them back together with the deepwell socket and they pop into place. Getting them off I just use to picks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals