• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painless wire harness for 5.0l efi swap into 1980s ranger

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Here's the differences between the Foxbody and the SN95 Mustang distributors. Of course, these are aftermarket models, but it shows the differences..

Foxbody style with the TFI module mounted to it:

SN95 (94-95) CLOSED BOWL style of distributor with the 8 pin plug on it:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm not sure if the standalone harness you're looking at is wrapped or not. I believe it is, but if it's not, or you want some additional protection, I highly recommend this harness tape. It's very abrasion resistant, tough as nails, and it won't come unwrapped from engine heat like standard electrical tape does.

Tesa brand harness tape

https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Wire-Loom-Harness-Mercedes/dp/B00EH6IZ6Y

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
You'll need a distributor with the TFI module on the side of it. A Foxbody type distributor. I think most, if not all of their harnesses require that type of distributor. My Telorvek harness wasn't bought specifically for a 94-95 Mustang engine though.

When you get the harness, it'll be labelled clearly what wire hooks to what. After all of the sensors are hooked up, they'll be a few wires left. One will hook to ground, and a couple for constant power directly from the battery. It's really easy.

I bought new coil springs from Rockauto for an extended cab 4x4 with the 4.0 V6. The first ones I bought I thought the truck could stand to be a little higher, so I bought the next heavier set from Rockauto and installed those. They only raised the truck another 1/4" - so it was hardly worth the trouble. If I were you, I'd just install the engine and wait until the test drive to see how low it ends up.

I do suggest that you hop on Ebay and buy an EVTM book (electrical and vacuum troubleshooting guide) for your year of truck. They're very nice to have! They show every circuit in the truck and give you wire colors, connector locations, etc..
awesome!great info.i will be getting that book.now with the springs when i redid my whole suspension front to back.i was told people used regular v6 springs,since i didn;t think they made anything more heavy duty then that.according to summit racing anyways.i can't imagine a 4.0l is much heavier then a 2.9l engine.i also read on the how to tech that a 302 engine is only about 100lbs heavier then a 2.3l 4cyl.do u agree with that statement?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
You'll need a distributor with the TFI module on the side of it. A Foxbody type distributor. I think most, if not all of their harnesses require that type of distributor. My Telorvek harness wasn't bought specifically for a 94-95 Mustang engine though.

When you get the harness, it'll be labelled clearly what wire hooks to what. After all of the sensors are hooked up, they'll be a few wires left. One will hook to ground, and a couple for constant power directly from the battery. It's really easy.

I bought new coil springs from Rockauto for an extended cab 4x4 with the 4.0 V6. The first ones I bought I thought the truck could stand to be a little higher, so I bought the next heavier set from Rockauto and installed those. They only raised the truck another 1/4" - so it was hardly worth the trouble. If I were you, I'd just install the engine and wait until the test drive to see how low it ends up.

I do suggest that you hop on Ebay and buy an EVTM book (electrical and vacuum troubleshooting guide) for your year of truck. They're very nice to have! They show every circuit in the truck and give you wire colors, connector locations, etc..
do all foxbody 302s have this style distributor?also are the v6 4.0l springs heavier duty then the 2.9l ones?and will the 4.0l ones from 90-92 fit the 83-88 rangers?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe the springs from an extended cab 4.0 is what you're looking for.
Any spring from 97 and earlier will swap in.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I believe the springs from an extended cab 4.0 is what you're looking for.
Any spring from 97 and earlier will swap in.
so any spring from 1983 to 1997 ford rangers all 2 or 4wd all fit? all engines sizes.how sure r u on that?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Personal experience from 84 to 93.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Go to RockAuto.com and look up springs for any late 80's Ranger. Look up different engine packages, 2wd to 4x4, extended cab vs standard cab, etc.. Compare the coil spring part numbers like I did. Rockauto gives you all of the specs on the springs so you can compare.

Yes, all 302 Foxbody's with EFI have that distributor up to 1993.

If you're just looking to replace your worn out, saggy old springs, then I have a set of variable rate springs for sale in the Classifieds. I put them in the truck but wanted it a hair higher. So I bought the next heavier set on Rockauto. The springs that I put in the truck last, ended up only raising it another 1/4" so it wasn't even noticeable.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would stick to 86+ EFI on dizzy. Older “EFI” was throttle body and I suspect could be different.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
the heaviest load spring i could find on rockauto was 1650lbs.i got the springs for a v6 ranger for a 1987 the 1st time.i think the load is around 1332.and y do they say to change the distributor anyhow?if i don't get the harness i should still be able to use the current distributor from the 95 mustang correct?or do i have to change it either way?also can i use current computer from the 1995 stang with the foxbody distributor if i need to?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Something to keep in mind is what computer and what type of distributor you want to run. This Telorvek system needs a Foxbody computer and a distributor with the ignition module mounted to it.

I just finished a conversion to relocate my TFI (ign module) to the core support so it wouldn't overheat and go to shit like all distributor-mounted Ford ignition modules seem to do.. I used the "closed bowl" type of distributor from the SN95 Mustang (or 92 Thunderbird) for a cleaner conversion. That style of distributor has an 8 pin plug on it that allows the conversion to be much cleaner than other TFI relocations I've seen that leave crimp on terminals hanging out of the distributor, and a wide-open gaping hole in the side of the distributor where the TFI module used to live..

I called Ron Francis and had a talk with them about which parts I had, and what I needed to get to run their system.. I suggest you do the same.
your using a A9P EEC?it looks like your truck is equipped with a manual not an automatic?shouldn't u be using the A9L EEC?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The cheaper Ron Francis EFI harnesses all have the TFI connector close to the fuel injector connectors, and are wired for a distributor mounted TFI module, UNLESS you buy the MG-70 Telorvek system like I did, which lets you run the individual wires wherever you like, and then build your own TFI relocation harness from an old Ford harness. I did it to add reliability to my truck. The MG-70 requires a Foxbody EEC and Foxbody distributor. I do know that the 94-95 EEC is pinned differently at the large connector than the Foxbody EEC.

I suppose you could use the cheaper, pre-wrapped EFI harness and still build your own TFI relocation harness from an old Ford harness, and that will allow you to use the SN95 (94-95) closed bowl style of distributor with the 8 pin plug on it. You'll need to take an old TFI module and gut it to create your own custom connector to plug in to the Ron Francis harness, unless you like cutting in to a brand new harness. Of course, there are other ways to move the TFI module off of the distributor and still use the style of distributor with the TFI module mounted to it, but it leaves a gaping hole in the distributor body where the TFI used to reside. There are instructions here on the Ranger Station on how to do that. I just don't think it's a very good solution.

You can buy the Telorvek MG-90 system to use the 94-95 EEC and distributor, but it cost several hundred more. But it can also control an electric fan via the EEC.

The springs you'll have to experiment with. I think I ended up using the Moog CC842 first, and may have switched to the Moog CC866, but I can't remember for sure.

As for the Foxbody computer, you can use an automatic transmission computer with a manual transmission, but not the other way around. The A9P (auto) computer works great with a 5 speed. Both have virtually the same fueling maps. Both are equally aggressive with the total timing advance. The only thing that's more aggressive is the Cobra EEC and then you'll have to have the MAF for that specific computer as well. It's also set up to run larger injectors.

Unless you buy the Ron Francis Telorvek system specifically meant for the 94-95 EEC ; then you should be able to use the 94-95 EEC and distributor. I haven't went over the instructions for that system.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
i always thought i could pull everything out of the 1995 stang and wire it in to work without any other parts.besides the usual stuff.can i just pull oem harness from donor and wire in to ranger and be done with it?or will i have to change distributor and or eec?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals