• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0352 after plug and wire change

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
So I'm new to this forum and have seen a lot of people with a P0352 code. The 2 main fixes seem to be to R&R the coil packs and if that doesn't work possible the PCM.

This is a long post but so I'll get to it. I have 95 with a 2.3L, manual trans, and 4 wheel drive that was given to me. I did not have the P0352 code at this point but my fuel economy was crap so I cleaned the MAF and the Pressure sensor that is in front of the throttle body. Since both of those components were very dirty I decided to check the plugs and wires.

The wires came apart while removing them, and all but on plug had normal but severe wear. The odd ball had a ton of corosion at the connector. I had also had an emission code that ended up being rotted vacuum hose at the purge valve. I wasn't very confident about drivers side cyl 3 and 4 plug wire connections but it seemed to run fine. The next morning I had a P0352 immediately after starting the engine.

My main question is can a bad plug wire connection cause the P0352 or is this code only from the coil and PCM. If you say it's the coil or PCM please provide pinpoint tests so I can verify which is bad. I checked resistance on the secondary circuit of the front coil that controls the intake side and it was within spec.

I am not a parts changer unless I can verify the issue before replacement. If possible please help me out with this. If more info is required let me know. Thanks in advance.

P.S. told you it was a long post.

Trippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235 75 R15
Welcome to TRS,

I checked resistance on the secondary circuit of the front coil that controls the intake side and it was within spec.
Did you test exhaust side coil? The exhaust side is the primary spark system on our setup.

If you suspect the spark plug wire you can always test it https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Test-a-Spark-Plug-Wire/

Coil Test: https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Mazda-Trucks-1994-1998-Repair-Guide/DISTRIBUTORLESS-IGNITION-SYSTEM/Ignition-Coil-Pack-s/_/P-0900c1528008ce2a

You can also check for spark using this method.
  1. Remove the spark plug.
  2. Connect the spark plug to the spark plug wire.
  3. Hold the spark plug with insulated pliers 0.20-0.40 in (5-10 mm) from a ground.
  4. Crank the engine and verify that there is a strong blue spark.

The reason for testing the other coil would be to swap coils to see if the problem moves with the coil.

Last edited:

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
Thank you for the reply. I did not check the exhaust side coil I will though. Because of how difficult it was to get the wires on to intake side 3 and 4 plugs I would like to know if the wire is not fully seated on the plug could it cause the P0352 code? Or would it just set a different misfire code?

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
Tested rear (Exhaust) coil pack. Got .7 on each primary. Secondary I got 14.78 on one side, and 14.62 on the other side. The secondary is within the 13 to 15 k tolerance.

For the front (Intake) coil pack I got the exact same primary reading but on the secondary 14.36 and 14.31. Still within speck. Wondering if I should replace the rear one because of the difference between the two. I think a new on was around 14.3ish just like the front pack. Thoughts?

Attachments

Trippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235 75 R15
If they are within the specification I would not replace them. I would check to see if the PCM is actually firing them by doing a spark test.

If you have one of the old spark plugs and a spark plug wire you can test to see if spark is actually being sent to the plug. Take precautions so you don't get shocked by the spark.

If it fires then you know that the problem might be related to your new wires or plugs (poor connection or faulty spark plug wires). If spark is not being sent then you know your problem lies in wiring or PCM. Since the DTC was not present before, I feel like it might be related to the new parts.

Are there any other DTC's?

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
So because of the difference between the two coil packs I replaced the rear (passenger side) coil pack. So father chose has not returned. I'll see what happens in the morning when I leave for work.

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
Damn auto correct

Jinx3Mt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215 / 75R15
Replacing the rear (exhaust side) coil pack did the trick. Thank you for the input.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals