• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Outer Inside Edge of Original Stock Aluminum Rim Sheared Off While Driving My '98 Ranger XLT 4x4

crowe47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Today I thought I had run over something in road in my Ranger going about 45mph - heard loud clanking sound! Then almost immediately felt the front end vibrating and then I drove back home less than a mile. Went back and found a piece of metal on side of road and thought it may have punctured my tire. Turns out that piece of metal is the 5-6" outer inside edge of my deep dish aluminum rim (body side) that is missing and 40 lbs. of air that I had just put into the tire was coming out fast. I do not recall running over any big object or hitting a curb that may have caused this piece to shear off. I have owned this Ranger since new and is not driven much - 3,000 in last 2 years and 118,500 miles on odometer now. Any thoughts as to what may have caused this rim issue? Also, I just had a new clutch and master cylinder installed last week and had planned to sell it, but now it appears the AC compressor is shot and now this problem. Would like to find an original stock aluminum rim to replace it. Have an ugly steel rim spare under the bed. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the other rims are in pretty good shape and do not want to replace all four rims, especially if I end up selling it. Do these aluminum rims start falling apart after a number of years and should I be concerned that this may happen to the others. I guess I was lucky that my speed was only 45mph at the time of this incident?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Never heard of that happening. Would be interesting to see pictures of the failed rim.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals