• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opening / Vented Supercab rear windows (not the back sliding glass)

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Google search gives me many threads on different forms of people wanting to do this. Has anybody found anyone that has done this, and photographs or in description of How It's done? It seems that this is just a pipe dream for lots of Ford Ranger fans, and it's never been really done. Although a couple of threads mentioned "I know somebody that has done it." One forum even has a user saying only tgat he did such a conversation, but then he never responds again. Most likely a troll.
I can show you how Ford installed them…

29B96229-4CF5-404D-BF95-B7A817C2F35C.jpeg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I believe the sticking point isn't the hardware or the glass but getting the interior trim with the indent for the latch lever that opens and closes the window. From what I understand, the steel frame for the window itself is the same between the fixed glass and the one that can open.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I got as far as getting a set of windows from the junkyard for my '97. My '97 has the indent for the latch in the trim but obviously doesn't have the cutout in the plastic, I took a picture of the donor truck, it's just a triangle hole that wouldn't be hard to make with 3 1/2" or 3/8" holes and some trimming between them... The part I'd be stuck on would be drilling out the holes for the rivets on the hinge end but that shouldn't be too hard...

Without A/C it would be nice to have some air vents in the back of the cab...

One thing I'm stuck on is where to get replacement trim clips for the side trim, no matter how carefully I've tried to remove them with any assortment of body panel clip tools I always end up pulling off the head of the christmas tree deals...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"One thing I'm stuck on is where to get replacement trim clips"
Try a paint and body parts supply place.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
fwiw, that is only an option on the 2 door supercab trucks. The 4 door trucks have the glass glued into place with no option to vent them.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
fwiw, that is only an option on the 2 door supercab trucks. The 4 door trucks have the glass glued into place with no option to vent them.
Yeah, seems like newer trucks were more likely to have opening quarter glass, but newer trucks also were more likely to have the third door option, which negates the opening glass. I don’t know if the ones with the rear doors will accept opening glass.

My first Ranger, a blue 2000 extended cab had no third door, but opening quarter and rear slider. I’d open all the windows if it wasn’t rainy or too wicked humidity wise and cruise, made for nice air flow, almost as good as the wing vents in older trucks.

All of the other 98+ Rangers owned by myself or dad have the third door with one exception and it has fixed glass (frame donor). My 92 STX also has only fixed glass and no slider. I may have to see if I can do opening quarter glass on my green 00 after I finish with the current mods.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
For me to even have the rear slider window on the 2011 required using the $500 credit I got when I bought the truck. The air flow with just that opened with the windows and the dash vents is great. I could only imagine how much better it would be if the rear quarter windows could be opened as well.

The aftermarket used to sell window visors for them as well so the rear quarters could be left open when it rains.

There also used to be one for the rear slider. It might still be sold but I have a bed cap and I doubt there would be enough clearance between the cab and the cap for it.

I also suspect that it’s more of a shade than and anti rain shield. With amount of air movement that moves through that opening, any dripping water would just get sucked right into the cab anyway.

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Had them on an 89 ext cab

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For me to even have the rear slider window on the 2011 required using the $500 credit I got when I bought the truck. The air flow with just that opened with the windows and the dash vents is great. I could only imagine how much better it would be if the rear quarter windows could be opened as well.

The aftermarket used to sell window visors for them as well so the rear quarters could be left open when it rains.

There also used to be one for the rear slider. It might still be sold but I have a bed cap and I doubt there would be enough clearance between the cab and the cap for it.

I also suspect that it’s more of a shade than and anti rain shield. With amount of air movement that moves through that opening, any dripping water would just get sucked right into the cab anyway.
So as great as you think that is with the rear slider and doors open, it’s better with the vents, the airflow is smoother, everything gets sucked out the side vents and it makes it almost as nice as having wing vents in the doors. Much less of things wanting to blow around the cab

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
I can show you how Ford installed them…

View attachment 78500
Sweet. I really appreciate this.
Do you have section 01-05A to look at too?

As soon as I'm able to I'm going to start calling some Pick-n-Pull junk yards and make a trip to see if I can get some.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
It was called a "quarter glass" and there were two types, "stationary and moveable. Your probably looking for the moveable.
Grumpaw
I think they are different size at least on the two I have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals