• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil leaking on the driveway. 2008

paulblr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I live in Ottawa and would like the chance to fix my wife's truck. The problem is its not broken it just leaks oil so she isn't enthused about my idea. I hope to keep this truck as around along time.

Any idea's

Recently I repaired the master cylinder for the clutch by burbling it of air. Fixing that made me feel great and want to experience that again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well now seems like an odd time to worry about the truck leaking oil on the driveway in 2008.

Anyway, care to give us more info?

paulblr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I would like to get it done. I didn't think the truck was leaking oil until I saw it and as time goes on will the leak get bigger.

I can see oil dripping off the starter as well the oil pan. I'm guessing its the front seal problem because of where the oil is.

So far I hadn't seen anyone doing it on youtube with a ranger 3L (2008). I'm worried about locating the timing marks correctly and getting the right pulley's off. Plus some guys turned the crank counter clockwise and some clockwise checking the timing both said it was important.

I seen the harmonic balancer getting pulled off watching youtubes and pretty sure I can rent that tool and a torque wrench.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The pushrod 3.0 is pretty good for both oil pan and front crank seal leaks.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the timing marks. That should only be needed if you are removing the timing set, which you don't have to do for any of that. Just get a seal puller and replace the seal with the front cover on.

But if for some reason you find yourself messing with the timing (which means you did something horribly wrong given the type of repair at hand) there is a dot on the crank gear and a dot on the cam gear. You point them at each other and your engine is in time.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a thought, but why not get yourself a can of engine degreaser, take her down to the local carwash, pressure wash things down under there, and wait to see where the oil is coming from?

I think there might also be a phosphorescent dye you can add to the oil to better see where it’s leaking out (or maybe that’s just for coolant leaks, so make sure you double check, if you go that route). Might be worth looking into before you start pulling things apart...

Good luck with the old gal!

paulblr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll clean it up with a rag to see where the oil coming from.

However I thought there was only a front seal, rear seal, head gaskets and the oil pan gasket. Now the front seal I thought sealed the crankshaft, and the crankshaft has a sprocket or pulley that needs removing to replace the seal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals