• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil leak

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 2002 Ranger XLT 4WD, 3.0L, 138,000 miles, has dripped engine oil on the driveway for some years now. Nothing bad, just a nuisance. Now it is leaking somewhat worse. I have no lift to really see what's going on but the front differential is always wet as is the rear end of the oil pan.

I always thought valve covers but now I'm thinking rear main seal. Any experience with those leaking?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is under the front seal dry? I have no lift either but I have jack stands and several jacks :)

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, the front seal is dry.

I did wonder if the 3.0L uses a full seal driven in around the back end of the crankshaft or a split seal as in my '75 Ranchero 460? The split seal in my 460 only lasted 90,000 miles. I changed that one out (floor jack and jack stands) from underneath but I was 34 years younger.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine leaks mostly out the front, but never got bad enough for me to worry too much about, living out here in the country. I'm gonna have to swap it now, or rebuild it anyway. If it's the rear you'd have to pull the motor or transmission just to get to it

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine was leaking really bad and I thought the worst too. Ended up just being a loose oil filter. My rule of thumb for oil filters is to free spin it then half turn when you get resistance but I normally go a little more on my personal vehicles. Somehow mine loosened up to the point it was LOOSE and dripping a steady drip. It was a motorcraft filter and NO it was because of a double gasket. So sometimes you get lucky and it's just a loose filter.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The 3.0 is famous for leaking from the oil pan gasket, usually in the rear. The updated gasket design of aftermarket gaskets fixes this

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks BlackBill. I did not know that but I can believe it.

The truck stinks like burned oil after a 20 mile trip. That reasonable from an oil pan leak? Guess that oil can go anywhere to the rear such as the exhaust pipe.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
If you're smelling oil after it heats up this usually says valve covers are leaking. Easy way to tell is pop the hood and look for moisture around them. When they leak oil runs down onto the exhaust manifolds and burns giving the burnt oil smell.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another leak lower also.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So can I somewhat easily pull the oil pan to replace the pan gasket? This is a 4WD 2002 Ranger. Seems like there should be enough clearance between the pan and the front differential but would be nice to know before I start.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I finally ran this Ranger into a local shop with a lift. Mechanic tells me the main oil leak is from the oil pan BUT he says either the transmission or the engine must come out to replace the oil pan gasket. Is this true?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
For 4 wheel drives the engine must be lifted quite a bit in order to sneak the oil pan past the front differential. Because of this it "could" be considered a removal ( mainly from the mounts) but not a full engine out removal.

2 wheel drives also need a slight lift on the engine but only by an inch or two to get the pan past the oil pick up and cross member.

ON a side note I have seen a video of the oil pan being done but by dropping, lowering not removing, the front diff. SO it is really up to the Technician on which way he/she feels it is easier for them to have the room needed to do the job properly. ( this applied to independent front suspension and not the Twin Traction Beam suspension. '98+ if I remember correctly.)

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Don't feel bad or out of the loop with the burning oil smell. About 2 weeks ago my 3.0 started smelling like that and my valve covers are leaking onto the exhaust manifolds. Of course in my case it happened to show up during the snow season so they will be done in the spring. Just an FYI about this motors valve covers is that the upper intake (plenum) needs to be taken off in order for the driver side valve cover to Be removed and replaced. So expect an extra gasket or two to be necessary when planing on the fix.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, if I had the room to do it, I'd drop the pan and install a new gasket without totally removing the pan. I certainly think that would work. I'd also do the valve covers if I had the garage space and a spare vehicle. Stupid HOA won't let me do this work outside in the driveway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals