• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change Process

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Coking of the intake valves from DI only and the 'catch can' fix is all internet fueled rumour mongering. Unless you have a photo of a DI only ecoboost engine you have owned and took it apart yourself and found that the intake valves were coked and nasty from not getting washed off with port injection and you then added a 'crankcase gas condensating bottle' and then tore the heads off again and found pristine intake valves. Also, please don't be argumentative because I will not reply back to that. Thanks.
What makes you think the ford gdi system is any different than any other manufacturers gdi system? VW has been dealing with intake issues on their GDIs for years and catch cans have proven effective. And now they run the dual injection simply to solve the gdis inherent design flaw which is still only partially effective.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What makes you think the ford gdi system is any different than any other manufacturers gdi system? VW has been dealing with intake issues on their GDIs for years and catch cans have proven effective. And now they run the dual injection simply to solve the gdis inherent design flaw which is still only partially effective.
After 8 years of being in one of the best selling vehicles plus many others recently why is VW still the example to be compared to?

All things equal there has to be a lot more 3.5’s out there than all VW’s combined. If they were having lots of problems nobody would care about the VW’s, ford would be front page news.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
After 8 years of being in one of the best selling vehicles plus many others recently why is VW still the example to be compared to?

All things equal there has to be a lot more 3.5’s out there than all VW’s combined. If they were having lots of problems nobody would care about the VW’s, ford would be front page news.

I can’t speak for VW but later model 3.5 Ecoboost engines have both direct injection as well as port injection to combat the issue.

I don’t know what other models of the Ecoboost engine have that outside of the 2.3 in the Ranger not being one of them.

So, the issue is something to keep in mind though it isn’t as bad as it was in the past.

It could very well be like the burnt valve issue in the B20Z Honda engine used in the Acura Integra and CR-V where it is a known issue that can cost thousands of dollars but not a common one. Honda and Acura approach the issue differently but the fix in either case is to inspect and/or adjust valve lash every so many thousand miles to make sure it doesn’t happen. Being that most people aren’t going to do it (assuming they even know about it) and engines aren’t failing left and right, speaks it not being a huge issue but yet an issue.

At this point, the coking valves in the direct injection only engines may be similar to that. There certainly isn’t a huge amount of coverage on the subject. So it may just be a concern to look out for rather than one that all the engines are going to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it is an issue. severity is drive cycle dependant. but its like 100 percent will be rough running, to the point of coding in some cases, specifically because of it...before 100k

what is detectable by some wont be noticed by others...my daughters 2 month old 2.7 is a piece of shit. not impressed at all with it for cold starts.

simple intake cleaning clears it right up if caught in time....put that in on a tire rotation schedule.... i have never seen one with more then 60 k that did not have shit on the valves. and this past week i looked at at least 50 engines doing research on a unrelated subject..

dual injection is a fix because it is a real issue. it is inherent with gdi.

not internet folklore.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not internet folklore.
Says some guy on the internet. ;missingteeth;

That said the new PCV systems are getting better at drawing out oil vapor. When I was looking at Challengers around '12-'13 catch cans were all the rage on the R/T's because the intakes were filling with sludge from the PCV.

My brother put a programmer on his '11 Coyote and it had problems with the PCV vapor (because of the piston cooling jets) and he had to get a catch can for it.

Might not be bad thing to do no matter what engine you get anymore. :dntknw:

And then there is my old pullout '87 5.0 that has a bone dry intake although it should have more stuff floating around in the crankcase than all of the other three combined x3. A generic PCV in a Ford Racing valve cover must not be that efficient compared to newer PCV systems.

EDIT: Talked to my brother, he thinks it is more of a urban thing. He knows it is a thing but out here in the sticks where everyone runs quite a bit of highway it isn't a big problem.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just read a new report that says the wheel does NOT need to be removed to change the filter. Just remove 3 of 9 fasteners and open a flap. So sorry if I was part of the hysteria and/or confusion.

https://www.motor1.com/news/300071/ford-ranger-oil-change/

Much better than the original info!

EDIT: not sure how to take the “whole five people who do their own oil changes” comment...

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Fake news ! Fake news! :clapping:

(regarding the original info)

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

CliffDog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Says some guy on the internet. ;missingteeth;

That said the new PCV systems are getting better at drawing out oil vapor. When I was looking at Challengers around '12-'13 catch cans were all the rage on the R/T's because the intakes were filling with sludge from the PCV.

My brother put a programmer on his '11 Coyote and it had problems with the PCV vapor (because of the piston cooling jets) and he had to get a catch can for it.

Might not be bad thing to do no matter what engine you get anymore. :dntknw:

And then there is my old pullout '87 5.0 that has a bone dry intake although it should have more stuff floating around in the crankcase than all of the other three combined x3. A generic PCV in a Ford Racing valve cover must not be that efficient compared to newer PCV systems.

EDIT: Talked to my brother, he thinks it is more of a urban thing. He knows it is a thing but out here in the sticks where everyone runs quite a bit of highway it isn't a big problem.

like i said.....not internet folklore. i dont have facebullshit. dont belong to any eco forums either...probably the best place to check.

but i do associate with people who have to work on these regularly...

i have trs and pirate 4x4 and diesel place, a gm sight..where i tend to spend online time...there are various other ranger sights i visit on occassion but very little time.

none of these places have ecoboosts(yet) as any sort of advanced topic.

but i have ecoboosts....most of my kids have ecoboosts....most of my whole family have ecoboosts...i work in an unforgiving environment for any vehicle. and see first hand every manufacturer get its ass kicked daily...

we are not allowed to have any turbo anything at the company i work for based on operational costs of anything turbo for the amount of idle time that is part of the operation. especially modern diesels.

for sure... drive cycle dependant. out in the sticks..all high way....no issues. sure there is shit on the valves....not enough to care about. shitty idle isnt costing much..

and the 5 guys that change their own oil will probably still relocate the filter on these new rangers so its not making a pathetic mess from being sideways..... and taking apart the wheel well regularly is a stupid idea for keeping its function intact long term. unless they actually built one that is stout. time will tell.

bring em on in...

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would be one of those five guys and, depending how much of a pain the filter is, may install a relocating kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals