• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oh, LOOK! Not ANOTHER V8 build thread!!!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know but it shipped yesterday... has to come freight though. :/

I'll make it work!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I still can't get the thought of making a custom IRS setup for the truck but if that happens then I'll need to move the fuel tank. I was thinking of just putting a fuel cell in the bed and calling it a day but I just read that the older Econoline tanks fit where the spare tire is mounted. For me that's jolly good news for three reasons: it frees up the space in front of the axle for IRS supports and exhaust, it moves all of the weight towards the rear of the truck for better weight distribution, and it ups the capacity by roughly 5.5 gallons or more.

A couple problems, though. Plumbing will be a bitch but I think a filler door inside the bed would make it work. And will it do away with the spare tire mount? That could be used as a frame or some sort of protection, I would assume. I tried to search for it but I couldn't find much info on it except that the Econoline tanks don't stick out the top of the frame as much as the BII tanks do.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Guess what came in today!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
It even included the slave cylinder! Doesn't matter, though. I'm going to order a new one anyways.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I still can't get the thought of making a custom IRS setup for the truck but if that happens then I'll need to move the fuel tank. I was thinking of just putting a fuel cell in the bed and calling it a day but I just read that the older Econoline tanks fit where the spare tire is mounted. For me that's jolly good news for three reasons: it frees up the space in front of the axle for IRS supports and exhaust, it moves all of the weight towards the rear of the truck for better weight distribution, and it ups the capacity by roughly 5.5 gallons or more.

A couple problems, though. Plumbing will be a bitch but I think a filler door inside the bed would make it work. And will it do away with the spare tire mount? That could be used as a frame or some sort of protection, I would assume. I tried to search for it but I couldn't find much info on it except that the Econoline tanks don't stick out the top of the frame as much as the BII tanks do.
:attention_whore:

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
i have 8.8 exporer irs pumpkins in 3.55 and 3.73. if you do happen to go that route.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got some shit done today! Took apart the top end... of the intake.

I did this in an hour and a half:

Took the upper intake off, and removed the wiring harness.

Then I prayed to God that there was no gasoline left in the rails and pulled them. Came off with ease.

And this is how she sits now...

Also, I found this in cylinder #8's intake.

It doesn't smell like coolant, but it kind of looks like it. I just think it didn't get as much crud in it as the rest of the cylinders did.

So that's my update for the day.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sigh.... A little bit of bad news after a few more hours of work. It looks like the water pump may have failed or at least the gasket did, because when I pulled the alternator bracket I discovered this.

The engine still turns and stuff, so I'm not too worried.

Also, do you want to know what E10 does to your engine? Well it leaves this white crud caked on to your exhaust valves. All of them look like this.

But other than that everything is going smoothly. This is how it sits now.

And is anyone interested in some Exploder headers? $50 + shipping and they're yours.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have 8.8 exporer irs pumpkins in 3.55 and 3.73. if you do happen to go that route.
I'm interested, but not for right now. If anything the 3.73 would be the one I want.

But I do want to know this. Can you put a Torsen from a Ranger FX4 LII or newer Boss 302/GT500? I want to know if it's the same exact differential basically.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good news about life that relates to this swap.

After almost two years of loyal service (23 months) to Bojangles', they are now considering me for a management position. I don't really care what they'll make me do, as I'm up for the challenge (does NOT include sexual favors...). But what does this mean for the swap?

Well as you may know, I want some monster mods, and monster mods require monster money. Well if I get this new management position, my pay will go up 50%. With a much higher pay, I'll be able to afford the monster mods quicker.

Thus speeding up the swap.

My boss wants me to be a swing manager, badly. It's up to the higher-ups in the company now whether they want me to be promoted.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, L&L makes an engine mount kit for $175. Looks like it is of pretty good quality. I would consider ketting this...

Just FYI those motor mounts bolt straight to the engine cross member, they do not use the stock motor mounts. On first (and maybe second) gens they bolt directly into the hole used by the 2.8 & 2.9, on later trucks you have to drill holes for them. They look like solid mounts but they aren't, they have a rubber spacer made into the top half. It's hard to tell in the pics but when you see them in person you can see it. I have a set waiting to go into my 86. I can say that they look nice but the 4.0L mounts are a better value. Only reason I have these is I picked them up for $100 locally from someone that was planning a swap them selves, they got rid of the truck and had no need for the mounts.

...but I just read that the older Econoline tanks fit where the spare tire is mounted. For me that's jolly good news for three reasons: it frees up the space in front of the axle for IRS supports and exhaust, it moves all of the weight towards the rear of the truck for better weight distribution, and it ups the capacity by roughly 5.5 gallons or more.
Never read that the Econoline would fit. You might want to do some measuring on that. It is about 1 1/2" shallower, but it's also larger in length and width. I'm not sure that it would fit between your axle and rear cross member. Due to the shape it's also not going to tuck up into the frame as well as the BII tank, at least not without making a custom rear cross member. The BII tank is conformed to the shape of the rear cross member (BII and Ranger have same one) it tucks up into the frame a lot nicer. You can also cut one of the rear cross braces under the bed floor and the tank will go up into the frame at least an inch more.

For reference the posted dimensions on each tank are as follows:
BII: 29-1/4 in. L x 24-5/8 in. W x 13-7/8 in. D
Econoline: 33-5/8 in. L x 23-1/2 in. W x 11-1/4 in. D

As I said, unlike the BII tank, the Econoline tank isn't shaped to fit against the rear cross member. When measuring for it you would need to measure from the front of the rear cross member, or figure out where you would need to make your custom one.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just FYI those motor mounts bolt straight to the engine cross member, they do not use the stock motor mounts. On first (and maybe second) gens they bolt directly into the hole used by the 2.8 & 2.9, on later trucks you have to drill holes for them. They look like solid mounts but they aren't, they have a rubber spacer made into the top half. It's hard to tell in the pics but when you see them in person you can see it. I have a set waiting to go into my 86. I can say that they look nice but the 4.0L mounts are a better value. Only reason I have these is I picked them up for $100 locally from someone that was planning a swap them selves, they got rid of the truck and had no need for the mounts.
I actually just had some plates made for me to attach to the V6 mounts, but thanks for the info anyways.

Never read that the Econoline would fit. You might want to do some measuring on that. It is about 1 1/2" shallower, but it's also larger in length and width. I'm not sure that it would fit between your axle and rear cross member. Due to the shape it's also not going to tuck up into the frame as well as the BII tank, at least not without making a custom rear cross member. The BII tank is conformed to the shape of the rear cross member (BII and Ranger have same one) it tucks up into the frame a lot nicer. You can also cut one of the rear cross braces under the bed floor and the tank will go up into the frame at least an inch more.

For reference the posted dimensions on each tank are as follows:
BII: 29-1/4 in. L x 24-5/8 in. W x 13-7/8 in. D
Econoline: 33-5/8 in. L x 23-1/2 in. W x 11-1/4 in. D

As I said, unlike the BII tank, the Econoline tank isn't shaped to fit against the rear cross member. When measuring for it you would need to measure from the front of the rear cross member, or figure out where you would need to make your custom one.
Once again, thanks for the info.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I didn't have these mounts I'd have gone with the 4.0 mounts and plates as well. I bought these way back in 03 or 04, at that time the V8 was just a dream and I hadn't heard of the plates.

Let me know what you figure out on the tank. I am planning to go with a BII tank behind the axle in my 86 build, it'll give me room for bars when I eventually go 4-linked. If you figure out that the Econoline tank works better I might have to go that route instead. At this point I'm a long way away from needing a fuel tank. I need to spend my time figuring out wiring and getting both vehicles prepped for the swap. I can use the explorer's tank until I'm ready to put the bed back on.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Went to my local LKQ here in Durham to go pick up some goodies for the swap yesterday!

Ford wanted $160 for this bracket alone... but I got everything I'm about to picture for $140.

Power steering pump and A/C compresor on its bracket

Wiring harness

Throttle cable

NEW DIPSTICK!!!!!!!! :D

Now the rearon why I had to chop off a perfectly good harness is this those assholes that I bought the engine from were too damn lazy to undo one bolt and take off the harness like civilized people. So now, look at how much wiring I have to do unnecessarily. :mad:

Oh and HAPPY 17th BIRTHDAY DELONE!!!!!!!!!! Luvvv ya :birthday:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I would have just taken the whole harness rather than cut a plug and splice it together. It sounds harder, and longer, but trust me, its not. It'll take you about 4 hours of soldering and heat shrinking wires together. Were you able to get the alternator bracket too?

SVT

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The engine already came with the alternator bracket, for some odd reason.

I considered taking the whole harness but the yard was closing so I just took what I needed. I can always go back and get the full thing from a different truck. It will be nowhere near my last visit there. Plus, I pulled it from a 2000 Explorer, and I wasn't sure if the entire thing was the same because of the PATS differences.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals