• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O2 sensor bung in Exhaust Manifold.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my passenger (bank 2?) Pre-cat 02 sensor today. I sprayed it down with PBlaster last night and again today before starting. Kind of a pain in the dick. It was siezed on there pretty good.

Anyways, I saw on the top rear of the exhaust manifold, there was another bung, with a plug. It looked about the size of the o2. The only other sensor i could think of that would go there is an EGT sensor but the hole was bigger than any egt sensor i had ever seen?

Thoughts on what it could be for?

2010, manual 4x4, all stock.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It helps to put the engine size in your post, or your profile. I know this in the 4.0 section, but still.

It may be for the EGR tube. If you don't have Commie-fornia emissions you probably don't have EGR, but the port is still there, just plugged. Or some previous owner may have added an O2 bung where it didn't belong for a wide-band AF gauge or some such that he took out and kept when he sold the truck.

Last edited:

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
It is a 4L.

Lol. I'll call ot commifornia too. I was born and raised there. I hate it. Im in Ga now.

Im pretty sure the EGR is on the driverside. I dont think the bung im talking about is aftermarket. I dont remember seeing and weld beads. It is lart of the casting. Its near the very end of the manifold, just before the connection to the next section of pipe.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Driverside EGR

Bung on passenger side Im talking about.

Sorry the pics are so big, Idk how to make them smaller.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Nope, that's for EGR. The EGR tube on an Explorer would have connected there. They use the same manifold as the Ranger.

Lol. I'll call ot commifornia too. I was born and raised there. I hate it. Im in Ga now.
Good man.

Last edited:

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
So it just for another EGR tube?

Is there a way I can delete all that crap and tune it out? My state doesnt test for emissions.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's not for another EGR tube, its for a different EGR tube. The Explorer used a different intake, and the EGR valve is in a different spot, but there was only one set of exhaust manifolds.

Don't go messing with the system just because your state doesn't test for it. If it is not giving you any problems leave it alone. The whole thing is designed to work as a system and so it will work best when the system is left intact. EGR doesn't hurt performance or fuel economy when it is working correctly anyway so any money you might spend to get it out of the system correctly is never going to be recovered in any way since the potential gains are almost non-existent.

Last edited:

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, I see.

Maybe be ause my VWs are turbo'd from the factory but when I deleted the EGR system and CATs, I gained power and efficiency. However, I did delete them after they were a problem. Which is my plan with this.

So, when my CATs and EGR system goes out, I will be deleting them. I assume there are exhaust systems available for this. Are there EGR delete kits? What are reputable tuners? I dont want as much power as possible just more. Id even be able with a tune that simply deletes the emission stuff out.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Are there no options for an EGR delete?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Leave your cats alone. It is against forum rules to even discuss cat deletes since that is a federal felony for any vehicle that will be driven on a public road.

Deleting the EGR is harder on newer vehicles. To physically remove it all you would need are the pipe plug for the exhaust manifold and the block plate for the intake. Not hard, but you would still need to do something about the computer or you will have a check engine light on all the time.

But again, when they aren't a problem the EGR and cats won't cost you any power. When they are a problem they should be fixed properly because its all a system, and it works best as a system. There isn't any noticeable power to be gained by removing these parts.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
How does it not gain power and efficiency? Recycling exhaust is taking away power and efficiency. Having to restrictive exhaust also decrease power.

I know there will be a CEL, thats why im asking what tuners will delete it out if the ECU.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Having a restrictive exhaust does reduce power and efficiency. Your cat isn't the restriction you think it is. The flow area of the cat is equal to the flow area of the rest of the pipes. It would be a restriction if the cat material was in a section the same size as the rest of the system, but the cat is larger.

Similarly I think you don't seem to fully understand the function of the EGR system. EGR is only used when power isn't really important. EGR isn't turned on at idle, during acceleration, or really any time you aren't cruising at a steady state. At a steady cruise you don't care about power because you are only using a fraction of the engine's power anyway.

What EGR does do is put a hot inert gas back in the cylinder, so that you expend less energy getting your air/fuel mix expanding. It also keeps cylinder temps lower because you are burning less fuel which reduces pinging and NOx production.

There are five gases involved in car exhaust. CO, CO2, O2, HCO, and NOx. Only one of those is an actual environmental pollutant that is toxic in and of itself, which is NOx. The cats and EGR system are the only things that work to take NOx out of the exhaust, so what you are proposing is to remove the systems that keep your vehicle from spewing chemical poisons out the tail-pipe.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I understand how and EGR works. When ever it is active, it, essentially, makes your engine smaller. Since theres less air, it takes less fuel to achieve a Stoich level. Which, however miniscule, makes less power and lowers efficiency.

Im also well aware of what deleting the emission system does.

And how is altering emissions, or even discussing it, against forum rules when there are multiple subforums on here about alter emissions? FI and and engine swap.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I understand how and EGR works. When ever it is active, it, essentially, makes your engine smaller. Since theres less air, it takes less fuel to achieve a Stoich level. Which, however miniscule, makes less power and lowers efficiency.

Im also well aware of what deleting the emission system does.

And how is altering emissions, or even discussing it, against forum rules when there are multiple subforums on here about alter emissions? FI and and engine swap.
You can super charge or turbo charge a motor with out increasing the emission output of the engine. You can even do an engine swap to a large engine and not increase the emissions produced by said vehicle. The new vehicle emission systems are very efficient.

While in Germany last summer I drove a Renault megan with a turbo diesel it had start stop technology and the thing idles just about as quiet as gas motor, it drove just as smooth as gas engine and the 6 speed manual it was mated to was like glass. Reason I bring this up is because the start stop is another way they are controlling emissions in Europe. It was weird as shit at first but the system is seamless and I had no issues with it, just caught me off guard first time it shut down at a red light leaving the airport.

MADMODDER

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
You can super charge or turbo charge a motor with out increasing the emission output of the engine. You can even do an engine swap to a large engine and not increase the emissions produced by said vehicle. The new vehicle emission systems are very efficient.
Yes, they CAN. But do they. MAYBE 1/4 of those who do swaps. Everybody else swaps because they want more power and aint worried about emissions. They swap a diesel, they wanna roll coal. They delete the EGR and the cats and get a tune.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals