• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No spark with SPOUT connected

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
SPOUT is the "vacuum advance" on this type of system, so it advances spark timing when it is plugged in, I think at idle it jumps it up 12deg or so

This advance is from Base spark timing set by the mechanic, you in this case

So lets look at it from the other perspective of base spark timing being incorrect, i.e. the crank pulley marks are not correct
You have set it as 10-12deg BTDC
So with SPOUT Connected it should go to 24deg BTDC or so, don't remember exactly

Try moving Base timing to 5deg BTDC engine should start to stall if not marks on pulley are not right

Grasping at straws here, lol
So are you saying that it probably isn't the computer and I should start elsewhere? I'm asking because I have somebody willing to install a new computer if I buy one and test it since I won't be home again for a few weeks. I don't know how to timing would have jumped, its just been sitting in storage for a few years...

If it helps: I drove the truck a few years ago and it drove terribly. It was super low on power and got horrible gas mileage (like 4mpg). The next year, the truck would start and run super bad. It shook like hell and would stall if I didn't use 3 pedals...even if I had the gas pedal to the floor, it would die sometimes. After that, it refused to start. That was a few years ago.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then computer is most likely issue after TFI module

flwsock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello Ranger friends, I'm back with an update: We replaced the computer and it finally sparks with the SPOUT connected. It's cold outside, so we stopped there. In the end, every ignition piece except for the TFI was replaced. All 3 or 4 new TFIs I purchased were bad from the store, but the original one was still good. We think that the computer was the main culprit the entire time -- but the rest of the system (at least the plugs, distributor, rotor and cap) still needed to be replaced as they were in rough shape too.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and good work (y)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals