• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nitrous Install

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
So, after seeing the price for a dry nitrous kit at Nitrous Outlet on sale for $289 I took the leap! Install was pretty easy and my CAI tube had a bung for a nitrous nozzle. I started out with the 35Hp jet and didn't really notice much difference so I moved up to the 50Hp. Felt a noticeable difference in how the truck pulled. Ran a couple datalogs to be sure everything was ok and it was. Moved up to the 75Hp jet and WOW, what a difference! The truck pulls really hard! After I run a couple more datalogs I am going to move up to the 100Hp jet. The stock fuel system is keeping up just fine and the PCM makes the adjustments within a fraction of a second. I did boost up the A/F ration by 10% and retarded the timing 2 degrees. I may need to go more with the 100Hp shot though. They say your safe if you only add 50% of whatever horsepower your engine makes so I should be ok. I don't recommend going above the 50Hp jet if you can't make changes to your tune though! I'm using BE to tune my truck but even with a hand-held tuner you should be able to tune it enough to help the PCM make the adjustments. I took a lot of picture of the install if anyone's interested. Definitely the best investment yet!

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I would like to see your pic. I wouldn't have thought the stock fuel system could keep up with a whole lot more than factory, but apparently that is not the case. Is your engine otherwise stock? Your avatar says you have a '03 4.0 SOHC, but your sig says you're building an '03 5.0. Or is it the '07 you've put the gas to?

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
I tried the 100 Hp jet and the fuel trims showed the engine running slightly leaned out! So looks like 75 is a big as you can go using the stock fuel system. She sure hauled ass with the 100 shot though! I don't race the thing and it's just for fun so I don't really need it! I'll try to get the photos up later.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
One bad thing about nitrous is how fast it goes! I've already sprayed a 10# bottle! At $60 a fill I guess I won't be playing with it too much! Now I see why it's a dying power adder and everyone's going to turbos!

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Installing the WOT switch
Align it so your throttle makes contact just before it stop but enough that it engages the switch.
Next I installed the nitrous solenoid. I use the same screw as the limit switch. Bend it down for hood clearence.
Connect the feed line to the solenoid and the nozzle. My CAI has a threaded hole for the nozzle but you may have to drill a hole.
The nozzle has a little dimple on it to show you which way the opening is facing so you can be sure it's pointing towards the throttle body.

I ran the supply line through a grommet located right behind the passenger side wheel

Here is a close up. I just cut a small + into it.

This is the grommet right behind the kick panel.

Before running the supply line, be sure to tape off the end so nothing gets in it.

That's all there is to it. The electrical is straight forward. Find a switched power supply to use the arming switch and hook up the relay. Mount the bottle some place and your ready to go. Of course you have to fill the bottle first! ;)

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals