• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to 4WD maintenance. 4WD light turns off, but stays engaged, 2005 Ranger.

Sternwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
To be clear - I engage 4H, and the truck seems to remain in 4H, but the 4WD light turns off a moment after engaging. Is there a sensor that "reports" when the transfer case has completed its shift? If so, perhaps that is my problem?

Thanks everyone. Just got this truck and with only a few minor issues. I can handle the rest, but this stuff is not in my wheelhouse (yet).

Sternwheeler

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Not really a sensor, its a contact wheel with 6 "arms"/contacts

Shift motor seen here, disassembled: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

When you select 4H on the dash switch the 4x4 Module(behind radio in 2005) looks at the contact wheel to see "where" the shift motor/transfer case is now, 2WD or 4L
If 2WD then 4x4 module powers shift motor to turn counter clockwise until Contact wheel shows 4H contact

It THEN turns on the 4H light, dash switch doesn't turn on the light, contact wheel in correct position does, so there should always be a delay between selection and light coming on, or going off, shift motor has to move into position first

Contact wheel seen in picture 5, "arms" in picture 6, the "arms" are adjustable, meaning you can turn the top part with the, arms attached, so it lines up better with contact wheel in it 3 positions, 2H, 4H and 4L

FYI, if 4WD lights Flash it means 4x4 Module has activated shift motor but Contacts are not changing, so it stops the voltage and flashes the lights
This is often a blown shift motor fuse in the engine fuse box

Sternwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you so much! This looks very helpful. I’m bookmarking this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is also possible for the transfer case to get bound and appear to have completed the shift, but still be partially in 4x4. That is usually caused by stress binding parts inside the case. Stopping, putting the trans in neutral, and then backing up a few feet after shifting back to 2wd will usually take the stress off and allow the pieces to finish moving.

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
This is what seems to occur with my F-150 when I take it out of 4wd. I apply the same aforementioned trick and it comes back in to 2wd just fine and all the components stay happy. If I don't do this the truck stays in 4wd when it doesn't need to be; then T-case, front axle, and front hubs start getting angry with me. :mad: This 2012 F-150 I have now is the first 4x4 I've owned so I asked a lot of dumb rookie questions too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals