• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New here on 1/18/2020 , 1998 ford ranger 3.0 v6 flareside owner

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been dealing with little issues since I did a rebuild on my engine and transmission. Problem solving a P0172, and also an Overdrive /rpm loss of power going uphill. I think the problem is my wiring harness where it connects to the internal transmission harness (automatic 4x4 transmission). I am building my truck little by little , paint on the way this year .

this is my boy

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello AZ Welcome to TRS. I can't help you much with the troubleshooting, although I'm having the same power loss and uphill symptoms with my 96 Explorer, but I'm mostly(atm) expecting it to be a vacuum leak somewhere.

You have a nice looking truck there man

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Hello AZ Welcome to TRS. I can't help you much with the troubleshooting, although I'm having the same power loss and uphill symptoms with my 96 Explorer, but I'm mostly(atm) expecting it to be a vacuum leak somewhere.

You have a nice looking truck there man
Vaccuum is part of the problem, I need to change out my resevoir soon and check the lower vacuum line that runs along the front suspension between the 4x4 hubs. I added the KC lights and roll bars ,snagged them for cheap on offerup, didnt pass that up...fabricated a little (im a welder) to mount them on my flareside

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for that idea AZ, I'll check my 4x lines too, it's already up on jacks and I can do that in the morning while I'm wrapping up the other stuff. Actually today (with it up all around) was the first time I've checked the 4wd and it didn't do well, the right locked in but the left never did. I haven't had it long but it's got quite a few bugs, started a thread on it in the Explorer forums

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that idea AZ, I'll check my 4x lines too, it's already up on jacks and I can do that in the morning while I'm wrapping up the other stuff. Actually today (with it up all around) was the first time I've checked the 4wd and it didn't do well, the right locked in but the left never did. I haven't had it long but it's got quite a few bugs, started a thread on it in the Explorer forums
makes sense....the previous owner of my truck was a moron or something, he put a non 4x4 wheel hub onto the driver side so the vacuum line wasnt connected to the hub , I knew though and capped it . thats what happens when dumb people repair vehicles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals