• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New ball joints too tight

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey everybody.
I replaced the ball joints, axle pivot bushings, and radius arm bushings in my '87 4x4 Ranger recently, and the ball joints are tight. Tight enough that it was obvious when I installed the steering knuckles. When I drive it, the steering wheel will not return to center on it's own (it tries, but makes it approximately 50%). I've never had this happen before that I can recall, and I was hoping that it would loosen up a bit as I drove it.

I just got back from trying to get it aligned. I found a good little shop in the country that was run by a couple of older guys (well, a little older than me anyway :)) and they seemed to be a lot more competent than the people I've encountered in the past. They told me they wouldn't align it until I fixed the binding problem; which means, install quality (aka Moog) ball joints. They asked me what brand the ball joints were (I couldn't remember "Mevotech", a Rock Auto special), and that they have found that the lower and even mid-grade ball joints have a tendency to do this, especially on these Rangers. They said they've had no issues with Moog ball joints.

Being my daily driver, I don't have a couple days to do this again (nor do I really want to :)). The mechanic said they wouldn't loosen up by driving the truck, so I'm going to have to attempt to install the new adjustable camber bushings I bought, just so the camber isn't so bad (it's obviously on the positive side). Anybody experienced this before? Anyone have new ball joints loosen up (in a good way) after they were installed tight? I followed Ford's torqueing technique and used a ball joint press, so it couldn't be due to an error on my part :rolleyes:. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Moog ball joints are not quality (once upon a time they were great, but not anymore at least the last 15 years or so). Been there, done that.

I would suggest look for Motorcraft branded joints (or any brand ball joints that have (exactly) a gold-anodized body w/blue urethane boot, which would be the original Dana-Spicer design).
Mevotech also has a line called Trail Tough Extreme or something to that effect (they have green boots and claim to be a higher-quality joint), but unfortunately I have not seen them available for our trucks yet.

As to your binding problem, I have not run into that yet myself... My guess is there is there must be some tension or binding between the joints, maybe from a joint not being pressed into the knuckle far enough, maybe the camber bushing is out of spec and doesn't tighten down in the correct position, or maybe you have a bent component under there (these are all just guesses).

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I appreciate the reply. They've loosened up somewhat, but after three weeks of driving I thought it would be more. I have some new adjustable camber bushings to put in it, so I may try that over the Thanksgiving day weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals