• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help on 98 ford ranger airbag system

Austinsned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone im new here and need help. I recently bought a project 98 ford ranger and i have found out someone put more work into hiding stuff then fixing it. Truck was in a front end collision and they rigged up headlights and they also told me it needed a fuel pump. I replaced the fuel sending unit and that wasnt it and it wasnt the kill switch so i did more research and found that the ecu was bad. I put a new ecu from the dealer in and it runs great now. I went to honk the horn messing around and heard a crack and found that the airbag want in there and i realized they glued it shut very nicely where you couldnt tell at all. What all do i need to replace? It dont have pretensioners but ik ill need atleast the wheel air bag and the left crash sensor. Is there a module i have to replace? Should i go ahead and do both airbags and sensors? Can i use junkyard parts? Any advice helps.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
go drop a burning bag of dog crap on the previous owners porch.

I believe that the 98 has the old style air bags athat blow full force when they are triggered... so hopefully the guy that hid all of this got his nose broken in the accident. you will need all of what you mentioned, and you will probably need a scanner that will allow you to reset the airbag codes and turn off the light. make sure that the lights on the dash are operative, including the one below the ashtray that indicates teh passenger bag is off.

I would go a head and get the entire components for the system from a junkyard (one vehicle if possible), and you may need the VIN of the donor truck as well, not sure of that tho, to add them to your truck.

Not airbag related, but if the truck was in an accident that blew both airbags (or even one) and the PO was a big enough scumbag to hide it from you, there is likely some other hidden damage besides the lights and what not. you might double check the frame and make sure everything is properly aligned...

AJ

Austinsned

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
go drop a burning bag of dog crap on the previous owners porch.

I believe that the 98 has the old style air bags athat blow full force when they are triggered... so hopefully the guy that hid all of this got his nose broken in the accident. you will need all of what you mentioned, and you will probably need a scanner that will allow you to reset the airbag codes and turn off the light. make sure that the lights on the dash are operative, including the one below the ashtray that indicates teh passenger bag is off.

I would go a head and get the entire components for the system from a junkyard (one vehicle if possible), and you may need the VIN of the donor truck as well, not sure of that tho, to add them to your truck.

Not airbag related, but if the truck was in an accident that blew both airbags (or even one) and the PO was a big enough scumbag to hide it from you, there is likely some other hidden damage besides the lights and what not. you might double check the frame and make sure everything is properly aligned...

AJ
Thank you! And yes once i found that today i started looking for more hidden damages. As of rn i have not found anything else but there is not telling. Luckily i just have a love for this truck and plan on rebuilding it. And yes i wish i remembered how to get to his house cause he is sorry. He better be lucky i didnt have a wreck or something cause that would be a hell of a lawsuit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals