• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help locating a 1998 Ranger GEM module

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger, stx, super cab, 4L, 4x4, 5 speed manual, power windows/doors, key fob unlock, 130k miles.
Its been a great truck.

Anyway, 6 months ago had a 5 year battery go bad after 3 years. Replaced it with a new 5 year battery.

Last week went to start the truck and the battery is completely dead. Jumped it, drove it around for awhile, parked it and shut off the engine. Immediately tried to restart and it is completely dead again. Jumped it again and took it into the local Ford garage. He says: Battery is good but there is a battery drain and diagnosed a bad GEM module.

He tells me that the GEM module for the 1998 Ford Rangers have been discontinued because the truck is too old. I have to find my own replacement part. The part number he gave me is: YL5Z-14B205-BA There are apparently 4 different GEMs used in the 98 Ranger depending upon how they were equipped. So, the search is on. Do you have any suggestions on where I can find this?

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998-2000 GEM from Ranger or Mazda B-series will work

These are the only years that have the software to do the "speed" conversion needed to use ABS sensor on rear axle
GEM did have stock tire size programmed in so speedometer would read correct speed, this is programmable at any time so you don't need to match tire size

GEM in these years was also the 4x4 controller, so important

Transmission or engine size doesn't matter to GEM, so any 1998-2000 4WD GEM will work

Only other "option" was power window "one touch" up/down, which is a nice feature but not required to use the power windows, if new GEM didn't have this

Interior lights, door switches and wipers were not "options" so any GEM would have these controls

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks RonD for the good advice.

I'm finding that the module YL5Z-14B205-BA has been discontinued.
I found this info on-line:

Hollander interchange shows 5 variations for a 4x4 1998 and they only interchange with 1998 model year trucks:
F87B-14B205-EA
F87B-14B205-EB
F87B-14B205-EC
F87B-14B205-ED
F87B-14B205-EE
I know that you definitely need to get one from a 1998 with 4x4 and power windows if yours has them.
The variations in the part numbers could be pre-programmed revs/mile values so everything may work but your speedometer maybe off because it was from a truck with different size tires.

I think that I need: F87B-14B205-EC
The search continues......

Last edited:

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also found this info:

I have found out that 1998-2000 Ranger GEM Modules DO NOT have to be flashed like those after 2000 model do. There are basically 4 different modules for the 98-00 which are 1 for 2wd without power options, 1 for 2wd with power options, 1 for 4wd without power options, 1 for 4wd with power options which the gem relearns from the PCM after installation and being driven at least 15-20 miles. So as long as you get the same module as your 98-00 has it DOES NOT have to be flashed by the dealership.

Last edited:

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
And this:

You need to know if you have 4WABS [four-wheel ABS] or RWABS [rear-wheel ABS].
RWABS trucks use the GEM to send the speed signal to the PCM and instrument cluster.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, first off, part number YL5Z-14B205-BA

Y = 2000 model year
L5 = Ranger
Z = Ford Customer Service Division

14B205 = GEM Module, but for any vehicle in Fords lineup

BA is a software revision code

So that part number is for a 2000 Ranger not a 1998, so the parts guy told you a 2000 GEM would work in your 1998

Your actual 1998 GEM label should have F87B-14B205-??, as shown above
F8 = 1998
7 = Ranger
B = Body Electrical

Replacement part number was YL5Z-14B205-BA

So what that should tell you is that 1998 to 2000 GEM will work if FORD recommended YL5Z replacement, which was the last year GEM controlled 4WD

Yes you want a GEM from a vehicle that has power windows if you have power windows

Ford part numbers used E for 1980's, so E5 = 1985
F for the 1990's, F0 = 1990, F5 = 1995
Ranger was 7
F87?= 1998 Ranger

BUT.................Ford changed things in 1999
1999 = X
2000 = Y
2001 = 1
2002 = 2
2003 = 3
ect...to 2009

Then 2010 = A
B = 2011
ect.....

So one digit for the year, after 1999
L5 = Ranger model truck
2 digits now instead of 1

I really don't think you will have any problems with a 1998-2000 GEM that matches your trucks options
Used electronics are a gamble at best in any case

4WABS wasn't very common but yes if you have 4WABS then you may need to repin 2 wires on the new GEM if it wasn't from a 4WABS Ranger
But chances are you have 2WABS so a non-issue

Last edited:

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for this valuable info RonD.

So, I am looking for-
1998 part number: F87B-14B205-EC
2000 part number: YL5Z-14B205-BA

And the 1999 part number:
XL5?-14B205-??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
XL5Z-14B205

Same as YL5Z

The last 2 digits, EC or BA or ?? will usually tell you the options, i.e. 4WD, power windows, 2WABS, but............................

Ford never published a cross reference by year for those numbers

I forgot to ask, you are replacing the GEM because its timer is bad?

Above the gas pedal area is Relay Box 1, has a black cover over it
Inside are a few relays, one is the Battery Saver relay

The GEM has a timer that starts when you turn off the key and both doors are closed
In 20-30minutes GEM will OPEN the Battery Saver Relay which cuts power to any lights and GEM goes to SLEEP, so battery won't be drained
If GEM stays awake then battery will drain, OPENING the Battery Saver Relay cuts power to one pin on GEM and thats what puts GEM to sleep

So have you looked at this relay
It uses Fuse 26 in cab fuse box, if you pull fuse 26 and leave truck over night and battery doesn't drain then either battery saver relay is bad or GEM timer is not cutting the Ground to the relay, opening it

Relay Box 1 layout should be similar to this: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/222593/original.jpg

You can use an amp meter on battery and you should see .3-.7 amp draw after key off
Then that should drop to .03-.07 after 20-30 minutes, when battery saver relay OPENS and GEM goes to sleep

The only power drain after battery saver relay opens will be the Computer memory, Radio memory and the Keyless entry receiver, if so equipped

Last edited:

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the additional info RonD.

It's still drawing .085 amps after the timer times out. So, believe that its most likely the GEM module.
The truck does have the factory Radio with single CD/cassette and it also has keyless entry.

As a side note: The radio has a LED display that quit working more than 15 years ago. So, I can't see which station its tuned to or the time on the display. Its just dark. About once, or maybe twice a year, the LED display does work for a few minutes when I first start the truck and then slowly fades to dark. My father had a 1998 Ford Explorer with the same radio and the same problem. At the time I asked the dealer if there was a recall and he said no.

I may have located a replacement GEM. They are to call me back on Monday.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
.085 is 85 milliamps is a bit high, 30-70 milliamps is normal, .03-.07

If your battery is draining over night then its a battery issue
But yes .085 is still high so try a new GEM

Red_Ranger_98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you RonD.

Found this info:

Module Controlled Functions
The multifunction modules consist of the following:
l generic electronic module (GEM)/central timer module (CTM)
l remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module (15K602)
The remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module controls the keyless entry, and computer operated locks systems.
The GEM/CTM controls the following features:
l wiper/washer (front/rear)
l warning chime
l battery saver
l illuminated entry and courtesy lamps
l driver one touch down power window (GEM only)
l accessory delay

l 4 wheel drive (GEM only)

The part I had spotted on Friday did not pan out. It was for manual windows.

So, I'm ISO of one the following (I believe):

a 1998: F87B-14B205-EC
a 1999: XL5Z-14B205-??
a 2000: YL5Z-14B205-BA

Is there anyway to decode the last two letters RonD?

Parts guy tells me that the part number used when the truck is built and the part number used for the replacement part could be different numbers (a Ford thing).

He gave me another part number lead today: EL5Z-14B205-CRM
What can you tell me about this part number RonD?
This remanufactured part would have to be reprogrammed to my truck's specific build. May be able to download from existing faulty module or may have to see if it can be found at Ford using the VIN#. Maybe 1 to 2 hrs of shop time depending upon how long it takes.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
E = 2014 part number

It does show that part number as backwards compatible to 1998 GEM part number, #F87Z-14B205-EA, EB, EC, 4x4

But never seen that number come up before, could be Ford is repairing old stock since all Ford dealers selling these require Core charge or the old GEM on purchase
And most sites say "remanufactured" in the fine print

Certainly worth a look

As far as I know the last GEM module was used in a 2003 Ford Ranger, after that Ford vehicles used Smart Junction Box(SJB) as the Body Computer
And last 3rd generation Ranger version was 2011

Maybe Ford dealers/shops were complaining about not having replacement GEMs after old stock ran out so in 2014 Ford introduced this replacement
Just guessing

Last edited:

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I read this post and have a question. My son has a 98 4wd, manual windows. Everything works that goes through the gem except the wipers. Once in a great while the 4wd and the interior lights act up until it warms up inside. He says he hears a click in the dash. The part number on his is f87b-14b205-ed. My question is, is the gem most likely the problem? He is in college and we need to make sure before we spend the money. Thanks for the help in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I read this post and have a question. My son has a 98 4wd, manual windows. Everything works that goes through the gem except the wipers. Once in a great while the 4wd and the interior lights act up until it warms up inside. He says he hears a click in the dash. The part number on his is f87b-14b205-ed. My question is, is the gem most likely the problem? He is in college and we need to make sure before we spend the money. Thanks for the help in advance.
Whats the issue with the wipers, do they work at all?
Is Fuse #16, 30amp(wiper fuse) in cab fuse box OK?

Hard to blame GEM for wiper issues, could be one of the two relays in engine bay fuse box or, the multi-function switch

Its possible for any electronic part to get heat sensitive, but usually its the "heat" that cause issues, not being too cold

Cold can effect mechanical parts, like drivers door switch that would turn on Dome light, or 4WD shift motor
GEM doesn't have any moving parts, its just electronics

If there is a Click behind the dash when shifting 4WD thats the Double relay box that the GEM controls, it is behind the GEM module, not part of it, this relay sends 12v/ground to shift motor
So if you hear the click GEM is working, its closing/activating the relays

I would start your own thread
And post the specific problems with wipers, interior lights and 4WD system
It might be the GEM but hate to see you spend the money and not solve any of the problems

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Whats the issue with the wipers, do they work at all?
Is Fuse #16, 30amp(wiper fuse) in cab fuse box OK?

Hard to blame GEM for wiper issues, could be one of the two relays in engine bay fuse box or, the multi-function switch

Its possible for any electronic part to get heat sensitive, but usually its the "heat" that cause issues, not being too cold

Cold can effect mechanical parts, like drivers door switch that would turn on Dome light, or 4WD shift motor
GEM doesn't have any moving parts, its just electronics

If there is a Click behind the dash when shifting 4WD thats the Double relay box that the GEM controls, it is behind the GEM module, not part of it, this relay sends 12v/ground to shift motor
So if you hear the click GEM is working, its closing/activating the relays

I would start your own thread
And post the specific problems with wipers, interior lights and 4WD system
It might be the GEM but hate to see you spend the money and not solve any of the problems

The wipers do not work at all. New motor, new switch, fuse is ok, not sure of the relays. Guy up the road had an explorer. We robbed the harness that plugs into the wiper motor and put it on toggle switches inside the dash. The 4wd solenoid on the frame is new and so are the hubs and knuckle seals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals