• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery knocking sound after rebuilding the top end

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Got my truck running again but now there is a very obvious knocking sound that was not there before. I suspect I didn't get the valvetrain rocker bolts quite right. Don't think it's piston rod knock. Looking for some advice though. I had to replace heads after overheating due to rust clogging the cooling channels in the heads but I don't remember hearing this sound when I started the truck after it cooled down at the side of the road. Please see the attached audio file for a listen.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Definitely sounds like some valve train noise.... kinda also sounds like it's popping back into the intake.

You sure you have the plug wires connected right?

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Reasonably sure. When I took it apart last time I marked the wire that went to cylinder 1 so I had a point of reference when it came time to install the wires again. Could have that wrong I suppose...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going to say its very easy to install the wires in the wrong order because that makes me feel better....
I didn't listen to the vid because I'm low on data right now.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Figured out the pop issue I think. I looked over the engine and found a loose spark wire on the plug side and a few wires that were not seating on the cap side. Still need to address the knock from the valvetrain though. I'll dig into that next weekend and report back.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Did some checking last night. I thought the timing was a bit off so I started working on that with a timing light and indeed saw it was off. Wasn't able to finish before I had to wrap up for the day. Question for everyone. When I line the 0 mark on the balancer up with the small blade to the left of 12 o'clock on the crankcase cover, that should be TDC right? And at that point the dizzy should be pointing at the number 1 cylinder post on the hat? When spinning the crank by hand I saw there are two times in the rotation of the dizzy that you get TDC. My plan is to have an inspection mirror so I can see when the piston is coming up to TDC on cylinder 1 so I can set it to the right TDC during the cycle of the dizzy. Just want to make sure that I am lining up the timing marks right.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
So it turns out why I couldn't get the timing sorted was that the outer ring of the harmonic balancer has slipped, so the timing marks on it are no good. The backfire and clacking noise was a rocker that was loose enough that the pushrod it was supposed to be attached to was just sitting there, not doing anything. After reseating and retightening the pushrod and rocker, finally getting the timing right the engine runs great. The coolant system flush I'm doing is making all sorts of things leak but that is another story... Thanks to anyone who chimed in.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the update.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals