• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my age surprises people

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Meanwhile back at the OP .

I can relate, by 17 I was passing for 23 . At some point I was thinking this was cool now , but if the pattern continued , I didn't know about looking 60yo at 40 . But as it turned out, at 30yo I went into suspended animation . My appearance stayed exactly the same for 10yrs until I was synchronized , and then proceeded as normal .

And even when young , I was " into " various avocations at precarious ages , so I have various preferences assocated with a generation earlier .

At work , and in general , I frequently have the role of deignated Old Fart . Except when doing music , then I get ribbed about being a youngster .

But through those guys , have a great appreciation of kickass Old Guys in their 70's , 80's, and 90's . One guy still passed his Flight Physical @ 90yo , but felt that his reactions were no longer up to His standards . But still rides his Harley @ 94 .

Betamax Is far superior to VHS . Better visual quality as noted, and Beta HiFi had audio quality much closer to home stereo system , than TV sound . ( Yes , the better Beta HiFi decks had seperate audio outputs , and we would run those to our stereo tuners instead of playing thru tv speakers .

But what killed Beta was the blank tapes . In the era when VCRs and cable tv were first spreading into general public , blank tapes were expensive . Like 30 somthing $ ea , in circa 1980 $ . This was before prerecorded videos were priced for consumer sales , so there sprung up local independent Video Rental establishments practically on every corner , where you paid $4-5 per night rental , had waiting lists for popular new releases, etc .

In that background , it was the coming thing to use your vcr to tape films off of cable , to create your personal video library . On slow speed , VHS tape could hold 3 typical movies, while Beta only 2 . For a 50% larger video library for same $$ , caused the rapid abandonment of Beta , because for the majority of consumes quantity was more important than quality. ( Same way that Mp3 is dominant audio format, even though the audio quality is total crap .)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals