• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motorsickle oil?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
20w50 is all over the place...even Wal Mart.
Available in both dino and synthetic.
Not used very much for current vehicles, but was widely used in the 80's and 90's
Grumpaw
Yeah, when I used to work at Chief Auto Parts back in the early 80's, out biggest seller was Castrol GTX 20W-5.0. Couldn't keep that stocked up. People came in all the time and bought cases of it. Funny thing, we also sold lots of Valvoline 60 weight Racing Oil. Lots of it. And lots of straight 30 weight. Hence my propensity to liking to use 20W-50. But the reality is, it's getting hard to find even in auto parts stores here. I suspect there may come a time where the only 20W-50 I'll be able to buy will be motorcycle oil. I won't have a problem with it, should it occur. I don't have a problem with zinc. I think it's left out of car oil just for EPA requirements.

I just google zinc in motor oil. This is what I found, top of the list.
What is motor oil with zinc? ... Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, ZDDP also contains phosphorus, which helps to perform the anti-wear function in the motor oil.
Seems like a good thing to me.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Yeah, when I used to work at Chief Auto Parts back in the early 80's, out biggest seller was Castrol GTX 20W-5.0. Couldn't keep that stocked up. People came in all the time and bought cases of it. Funny thing, we also sold lots of Valvoline 60 weight Racing Oil. Lots of it. And lots of straight 30 weight. Hence my propensity to liking to use 20W-50. But the reality is, it's getting hard to find even in auto parts stores here. I suspect there may come a time where the only 20W-50 I'll be able to buy will be motorcycle oil. I won't have a problem with it, should it occur. I don't have a problem with zinc. I think it's left out of car oil just for EPA requirements.
Lot of older car/truck owners will only use 30 weight. Up until the late 60's cars/trucks used 30 weight high detergent oil...was called for by the manufacturers. Changed many a car and truck oil back then...Castrol 30whd and Hasting or Wix filters. Most older 60's and earlier engines, if still stock and not rebuilt still require 30 weight.
Grumpaw

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lot of older car/truck owners will only use 30 weight. Up until the late 60's cars/trucks used 30 weight high detergent oil...was called for by the manufacturers. Changed many a car and truck oil back then...Castrol 30whd and Hasting or Wix filters. Most older 60's and earlier engines, if still stock and not rebuilt still require 30 weight.
Grumpaw
Can't even remember the last time I saw a straight weight oil in an auto parts store. I guess they have to special order it.

Although I can't say for certain, I think the guys who bought the Valvoline 60 weight Racing Oil were harley riders. I think the heavier oil made them quieter and less likely to drip all over the place. LMAO!!!

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Can't even remember the last time I saw a straight weight oil in an auto parts store. I guess they have to special order it.
It's still out there, but you may only find one or two brands carried, and it might be just one row of oil. Gotta look.
I know our local Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and O Reilly's carry it. Stilll buy it now and then as my old lawn mower takes 30 weight.
Grumpaw

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We one guy that was adamant he had to have straight 20wt non detergent for his planter because that is what his manual called for. Only place that stocked it was Dollar General.

It took me 10 years to convince him universal hydraulic oil would work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I saw straight 30w at Wal-Mart Canada a couple days ago on sale. Could be getting rid of stock.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
2.9l tick = Collapsed hydraulic lifter. usually accompanied by an exhaust manifold leak, or winter. lol I'm not positive but I think the Cam bearings fix is a myth.
Fix= Replace lifter and clean clogged passages. You can also convert the hydraulic lifters into solid lifters with some washers. But that's kinda noisy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals