• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Most reliable Ranger configuration?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long did it take you to get yours running even close to normal? A year? Yea... super reliable. :icon_rofl:

Be honest, does it even run now without a cel? And I mean without you pulling the bulb out.
I don’t think a CEL was even a thing until ‘88...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don’t think a CEL was even a thing until ‘88...
My 86 has a spot on the gauge cluster for the cell but if you go behind there is no circuit to that spot.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
According to the Ford manual the engine got to be pulled, so I pulled out all the stops and got my trusty ol Haynes manual off the shelf and they recommend the same thing, in order to properly seal the oil pan.
Then I went one step farther and duckduckgo'd it. Some two mechanics or such a website said the timing cover could be coated with silicon prior to installing

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
How long did it take you to get yours running even close to normal? A year? Yea... super reliable. :icon_rofl:

Be honest, does it even run now without a cel? And I mean without you pulling the bulb out.
It sat for 12 years before i got it and the only reason it took so long for me to fix it was the fact i suck at diagnosing EFI.

It also has no check engine on the dash, i havent scanned it again but it runs fine so im not gonna dig.

Rusty#1 went over 300k with literally nothing but an ignition module and tune up parts. Literally everything else was original.

In all the years ive been here, the total failure rate of 2.9s (as in, death by knocking or other serious mechancal issues), has been very low.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Out of character, but I'd pick the Perkins Rangers as #1 for reliability. Possibly the mitsubushi diesel, but I know very little about them.

The Perkins diesel was underpowered, but it's a low compression, low rev diesel that can be converted to run biodiesel. Not much better in my book.

I'm sure Bobby and a few others will yell at me now.

After that it's a coin flip between a 2.9 with an upgraded cooling system or a 2.3 in an area with no Hills.

Reliability comes down to two things - listen to what your vehicle likes and dislikes, and PROPER PERIODIC AND PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Proper cleaning as well. One prevents mechanical failure, the other slows rust.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sat for 12 years before i got it and the only reason it took so long for me to fix it was the fact i suck at diagnosing EFI.
How I have it pictured:

Out of character, but I'd pick the Perkins Rangers as #1 for reliability. Possibly the mitsubushi diesel, but I know very little about them.

The Perkins diesel was underpowered, but it's a low compression, low rev diesel that can be converted to run biodiesel. Not much better in my book.

I'm sure Bobby and a few others will yell at me now.
It has potential but its obscurity is kind of a turn off. I have yet to actually see a diesel Ranger, finding parts for one or anyone that knows anything about them would be a job in itself.

The base engine was probably used in other things and has some potential for cross shopping there... but wait this is different and that is different, not fun for a dd.

I LOVE the 354 Perkins Massey and Oliver used. Sounds/runs awesome and very economical.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea, hard to say an engine is reliable when you can't find one. I've seen one factory diesel ranger in my life, with the exception of the T6 trucks.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, hard to say an engine is reliable when you can't find one. I've seen one factory diesel ranger in my life, with the exception of the T6 trucks.
I don't blame that on the engine, they never sold well so there wasn't a lot of them to start with.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think were mixing up daily driving reliability and engine reliability. Everyone knows diesels are a more reliable engine over gas but for a basic daily driver you wouldn't want something that old or that rare. Most parts stores seem to carry a lot of the 4 and 6 cyl stuff for rangers. I bet they wouldn't have squat for an 80's diesel ranger which would be a big turn off for someone needing a daily driver. Lawn mowers are reliable but you wouldn't want it as a daily driver.....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Duratech. Then lima.

Ultraspontane

Reaction score
Thanks for the spirited discussion, boys. I have to admit, part of me just wanted to sit back and watch the dust up as you all duke it out.

I'm still looking for a truck. Currently driving a 93 GMC c1500, that is serving me well enough (haha I don't expect that one to go over well here) but is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm a little partial to the Chevys because they seem easier to work on to me than the Fords of that era.

I did own an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco II 5spd about 7 years ago. That was such a fun little truck and I kick myself each day for getting rid of it. The cooling system shat the bed and I got rid of it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you have a fullsize 1/2 ton now may i reccommend a 92-96 F150 with a 4.9L (300cid) straight 6 and a 5 speed.

Itll get roughly the same mileage as a V6 ranger (assuming you go 2wd) and do a whole lot more. Plus the 300 is generally regarded as one of the most reliable/durable engines ever built.

The 92-96 F series is also a rock solid platform and the I6 is very easy and simple to wrench on. Probably more so then your chevy.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the spirited discussion, boys. I have to admit, part of me just wanted to sit back and watch the dust up as you all duke it out.

I'm still looking for a truck. Currently driving a 93 GMC c1500, that is serving me well enough (haha I don't expect that one to go over well here) but is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm a little partial to the Chevys because they seem easier to work on to me than the Fords of that era.

I did own an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco II 5spd about 7 years ago. That was such a fun little truck and I kick myself each day for getting rid of it. The cooling system shat the bed and I got rid of it.
Must've had a 2.9.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals