• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More cluster swap woes

venuspie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After reading multiple threads on here, I decided to swap in a cluster with a tach since my 95 2.3 5-speed didn't come with one. Found a nice on from a 2000 explorer. Direct swap and everything works great.....EXCEPT the tach and the temp gauge. The tach does NOT read correctly even though multiple threads here say it gets it signal from the ecu and doesn't matter what engine it came from. Must've been a v8 explorer because the tach reads about half of what it should. Can only get it up to 3k at highest. Sucks because I can't return the cluster as I disassembled it to adjust the odometer to my current mileage. Any ideas??

Now the temp gauge I expected. However, the advice here stated to get a new sender from the year the cluster came from. Only problem is I don't think a 2000 has the one wire sensor on the block. Just the two wire on the t-stat housing. Doesn't the one wire on the block control the gauge? I can't locate a one wire sensor for a 2000. I know I can swap my original gauge on this but need to figure out tach first

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

venuspie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check out post #11 here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/8-cylinder-tech-34/v6-v8-tach-ground-wire-107127/

Need to remove a ground wire I think

You can use 2 wire temp sender, get the sender or just the plug for the 2000 sender from wrecking yard
It will have a Red/white and a Black/white wire
Ground the black/white wire to engine or ??, your choice
Hook red/white wire to gauge wire
Wow! Thanks. Looks like you are right. I’m not sure why I found all the threads saying direct swap and not that one. I may not have done it if I knew. As far as the temp sensor, are you saying remove the one wire sensor from the driver side engine block and install a newer 2 wire sensor in that location? Just add a ground wire to the new 2 wire sensor? I’ve got a 2 wire on the t stat housing but it is for something other than the gauge.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think the tach's only an issue because you pulled it from a V8 Explorer. Most of us just used a cluster from the same or similar year Ranger, or at least a non-V8 Explorer. I swapped one from a '94 Explorer into my old '94 Ranger and it really was straight plug and play for everything.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Temp sender on the side of the block, and yes if you think that is the problem, I think the 1995 temp sender and 2000 temp gauge should be fine together, but never did this swap

ECT sensor(always 2 wire) is for computer use and uses 5volts

Temp sender uses 12volts, so yes much different temp devices

venuspie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update. Got the tach working per the instructions in the link RonD posted. Thanks! Part of the problem was because it came from a v8. Also my 95 is somewhat of a weird year. Different than a 94 and 96. Thanks for all the help

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Perfect, was just here to search for this exact information :), I have a '97 Mountaineer parts rig and a '97 Ranger 4 cylinder without a tach...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals