• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mixing an 07 with an 87 ranger

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
In Connecticut it would have to be registered as a composite vehicle.
Yeah, special registrations like that can let you get away with almost anything.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
exactly. and it should be that way. the issue is insurance. it can not be called a Ford ranger and good luck with insurance....or at least cheap insurance.

the b2 wont hold to the 8 cyl on fed though or any of the ttb platforms.. its the ranger platform and even though it is listed as a station wagon, its platform never had 8 holes. the fed is the problem. simply put, you cant put a v8 in a ttb ford ranger and call it a FORD ranger.

with the advent of the erod program this law looks antiquated and un-necessary now.

a gen 1 explorer can push grounds to be haggled into place. that platform was later upgraded to a v8 but the ttb chassis is not the same..

there is causals now to run the v8 in the sla ranger platform because of the factory offering in the explorer. so, there is finally grounds to be able to put a v8 in and call it a FORD ranger and insure it as such with no re-title hopping.

but that is all technical buulllshit. a personal vehicle has wide range here.
if your not manufacturing for express resell and its for personal use and if its further limited use at that....pretty easy to pull off.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the b2 wont hold to the 8 cyl on fed though or any of the ttb platforms.. its the ranger platform and even though it is listed as a station wagon
Tell that the VIN. The model code for the full size Bronco is U. The model code for the BII is also U. Therefore even though the BII is on the smaller Ranger chassis there is some validity to the legal argument that the model (per VIN coding) was available with a small block V8, and that it was just never offered in that body. Similar to how the 5.0 was offered in 4-door Explorers, but never in the 2-door.

Even when calling up a "Bronco" on a scan tool and manually entering the info the engine options for model code U are 2.9, 4.9, 5.0, and 5.8.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I believe port and polish is a process usually performed on the head, not the exhaust manifold.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Tell that the VIN. The model code for the full size Bronco is U. The model code for the BII is also U. Therefore even though the BII is on the smaller Ranger chassis there is some validity to the legal argument that the model (per VIN coding) was available with a small block V8, and that it was just never offered in that body. Similar to how the 5.0 was offered in 4-door Explorers, but never in the 2-door.

Even when calling up a "Bronco" on a scan tool and manually entering the info the engine options for model code U are 2.9, 4.9, 5.0, and 5.8.

the 5th digit? hell an l 8000 could be a u. explorer, expedition, escape...navigator....

the fed platform recognition is on the specific chassis/body type.

i had all that crap somewhere....

Mike Tonon

I believe port and polish is a process usually performed on the head, not the exhaust manifold.
Oh, ok, obviously I'm not too familiar with that.

I was just thinking, if I could use original exhaust manifolds (because they're authentic and aftermarket manifolds I heard often crack), but modify their function to be more like aftermarket performance headers.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard of a wet sandblast type of thing for exhaust manifolds, to accomplish what you describe re; using stock manifolds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals